DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Use of unsheathed Romex NM-B wires in conduit?

9K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  chris75 
#1 ·
Quick question:

I need to drop three circuits down a concrete basement wall to two adjacent 4 x 4 receptacle boxes I'll be mounting on the wall. I want to protect the wires along the wall within one run of 3/4" EMT. Can I just bring the NM-B cables into a junction box mounted near the ceiling and strip off 4-5 feet of sheathing from these cables and drop the individual wires through the conduit to the boxes?

Fill restrictions prevent me from running the whole NM cables within the conduit. Basically, I want to know if I can avoid having to splice in actual THHN/THWN wire at the junction box for the drop through the conduit (the wires within the Romex cable are not marked as to their specifications). I'll use a separate insulated green ground wire through the conduit, so I can splice all the grounds together in the junction box and just run one ground wire to the boxes.

Thanks for your help.

#5 ·
Conduit fill requirements do not apply to short lengths of conduit that are not emerging from grade and the conduit is only being used for physical protection. See note 2 chapter nine.

#7 ·
Yep. alot of guys just put on a emt box connector and then thread on a plastic bushing to handle any abrasion issue where the cables enter emt. I actually think it is a code requirement to do so.

Two types I use

and
with this....

#8 ·
Yep. alot of guys just put on a emt box connector and then thread on a plastic bushing to handle any abrasion issue where the cables enter emt. I actually think it is a code requirement to do so.

Two types I use

and
with this....
A bushing is a code requirement for protection of the wire. I use the cheapo plastic ones.

Sorry, I failed to thoroughly read the original post that said that this was a very short length of conduit indoors...My bad. Glad Stubbie got to you before you bought the THHN. :whistling2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.