Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 296

Use recept instead of wirenuts okay?

The recepts I've been getting come with 4 holes in the back for black wires and 4 for white. Instead of using wire nuts, I've been putting my wires in those holes to go to lights and other runs instead of making a jumper and wirenut type deal. Is that okay? Thanks

Last edited by Piedmont; 11-24-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Are these the compression fittings (backstab) or are they the screw down type (backwire)?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,420

You can use the device as described as long as the wire is #14. There is no code prohibition against this and UL has listed the device that way.

Many will tell you not to do this as the backstabs seem more prone to failure than the screw terminals.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:15 AM   #4
Licensed Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
You can use the device as described as long as the wire is #14. There is no code prohibition against this and UL has listed the device that way.

Many will tell you not to do this as the backstabs seem more prone to failure than the screw terminals.
If it has 4 holes for each, it is a backwire device with a screw that tightens a pressure plate on the wires... you can use 14, 12, or 10 gauge wire.

It is OK to use these in the manner you wish, but you will find it easier to get everything back in the box if you use wirenuts and pigtails.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:43 AM   #5
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,232

As long as it is not a mulitiwire circuit, then you are ok.
If it is a mulitiwire circuit, the device cannot carry the neutral load, and pigtails must be used.
Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseHelper View Post
you will find it easier to get everything back in the box if you use wirenuts and pigtails.
Also, if you remove the outlet the downstream outlets will stay powered.

"A Multiwire Branch Circuit (in the electrical code) is defined as a branch circuit that consists of two or more ungrounded conductors (two or more "hot" wires) that have a voltage between them (they are not on the same electrical phase and so are connected to different buses in the electrical panel), and a grounded conductor (the neutral wire) that has equal voltage between it and each ungrounded conductor (hot wire) of the circuit and that is connected to the neutral or grounded conductor of the system. (Paraphrasing NEC Article 100).

In English, this means that two hot wires are sharing a neutral wire."
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

In this pic by the red wire is a hole into which you insert
A {small screwdriver ? ) to release the red wire
I never use these types of backstab connections
Some areas have adopted code that prohibits their use
Suggest you check with your elecrical Inspector 1st

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Is that okay?
Backstabs are evil.

Legal but evil.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,032

A typical multiwire branch circuit e.g. 120/240 volt circuit has two hot wires (once in awhile 3), usually one is red, and one neutral. When one enters an outlet box and daisy chains to other outlet boxes, the neutral coming in and neutral continuing on must be connected together directly using a wire nut, etc. Then you need to use a short wire (jumper; pigtail) to reach the receptacle in the box.

In addition, for one hot and neutral feeding the box, if the hot wire is daisy chained using the pigtail method then the neutrals must also be connected directly using the pigtail method.

If you must turn a screw on the side to hold the wire in the hole in back then the back connection is just as solid as using a screw terminal.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-25-2009 at 09:41 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

I've used them as our code allows them, however, I find that more often than not if for whatever reason you need to remove the receptacle and reuse it, I end up destroying the internals trying to remove the wire. They do not seem to release the wire very nicely.

That's my experience, I may be using the wrong method/tool. I used a precision flat head.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 PM   #11

Hold the wire IN as you are pusing the screwdriver in. Often this makes it easier to release the wire.

Also, with a narrow screwdriver, it is possible to miss the push point and nothing gets released.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-26-2009 at 08:01 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:39 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 296

I've never seen that kind of recept Scuba_Dave. Mine is like HouseHelper stated it must be a backwire device (not backstab). I put the wire(s) in the holes and there's screws on the side as I screw them in it clamps a pressure plate on the wires. Each screw clamps up to 2 wires and there's 4 screws (I can clamp up to 8 wires in the recept (4 black + 4 white)).

Last edited by Piedmont; 11-25-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:00 AM   #13

The heavy duty receptacles often have screw clamps to hold the wires in back. The cheap receptacles usually have push-in-and-stick (backstab) holes in back.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:29 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedmont View Post
The recepts I've been getting come with 4 holes in the back for black wires and 4 for white. Instead of using wire nuts, I've been putting my wires in those holes to go to lights and other runs instead of making a jumper and wirenut type deal. Is that okay? Thanks

I think using the recept connections are fine with the exception of the bonding wire. If you have a plastic box, you can twist the bonding wires together with one wire longer. Then, slide a green wire nut (with a hole at the end) over them. Then attach the bonding wire to the green screw on the oulet. If you have a metal box, you have to run a green wire from the recept to the back of the box to a threaded grounding screw and also attach the bonding wires to the grounding screw.
fpeikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 10

I've repeatedly seen the backstab-type fail; easily a majority of the dead outlets and fixtures I've encountered have been due to these. Probably the clamp-spring loses its strength over time and gets loose. They're evil; do not use!
However, the style that clamps the wire when you tighten the screw -- those should be reliable. (As noted above, not legal or safe for a neutral serving two hots, nor for green.)

rerickson is offline   Reply With Quote