Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Share |

Use an installed/unused IC can as a J-box

I have a Prescolite IBX IC rated recessed can installed in 1998 when my home was built. It is in the first floor family room that has no access to crawl space/attic.

The can was installed with an eyeball trim over the fireplace. My plan was to mount a line voltage flexible track lighting system.

After removing the eyeball trim and clipped the socket, I discovered that the can used has a square IC housing that is larger than the hole itself. I am assuming that installing this type of can for the application was a mistake and/or laziness on the part of the contractor.

So instead of being able to remove a round can, remove the bar hanger, and retrofit as needed to create a j-box mount, I'm stuck with big square metal enclosure.

There is black/white wires coming through 1/4"-5/16" wide access flap(too small to make a connection and force back into can j-box. those wires are connected to a thermal protector with black/green wires to the socket.

So to my question.

Can I use the enclosure as a second j-box?

I want to fabricate a bracket that I can tek screw to the housing that will allow mounting of the canopy and goof plate to cover the hole.

I'd like to wire nut the black/white wires. Is it OK to tek screw the ground to the housing?

PLEASE HELP! My simple install just got complicated! . . . maybe?

Thanks in advance!

irehog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Sparky

there are very very few 'New work' can lights that can be removed from the hole for the trim.

you should however be able to access the wiring compartment

Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techy View Post
there are very very few 'New work' can lights that can be removed from the hole for the trim.

you should however be able to access the wiring compartment
Thanks for your response.
I am already pretty familiar with recessed lighting, I was a lighting manufacturer's rep for 12 years, worked with 24 factories and represented 3 different recessed lighting companies.

I moved on 9 years ago to a new career, new state, so I really have no industry contacts anymore to help me clarify what I believe I can do.

One of the manufacturer's I represented is one of the top 3 and can be purchased just about everywhere. Those IC cans can be removed from the frame then dropped through the hole and the frame can either be disassembled or moved away, if there is no access. This IC can is definitely made for access only. The box has fabbed/folded corners and cannot be taken apart. The access plate is about 2 1/2" wide and less than 1/4" tall - (had to get a better look at it)Just tall enough for a small drilled/rounded off hole to get the wire through. it can be forced out, but there is no way to force the wire back into the j-box whether I used a wire nut or any other connector that I'm familiar with, without cutting sheet metal to make a larger hole.

But my real dilemma is, can I use it as a j-box?
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Sparky

http://www.prescolite.com/content/pr...10075_ibx5.pdf #10 on page 1, diagram page 2

No the can enclosure cant be used as a Junction box.
Techy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #5

Why not just sawzall the existing can and move it away from the hole a bit, pull out the feed and then put it into a new box cut over to the side of the existing hole, and then patch the existing hole?

You can then run your track light from the new box.
ItsaSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
Pure Genius

What about removing the trim and then removes screw 24 in the instructions. It appears as though you can then flip the square box into the attic and access the j box located on the can lt. And you can them remove the can install a jbox as needed or if your really lucky pull out the romex and feed directly to track.

Last edited by Dierte; 09-20-2012 at 07:03 PM.
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 AM   #7

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I already have the IBX cut sheet. The IBX5 is the current version of that fixture, but has little resemblance of the 1997 version I have in the ceiling.

Everything inside of the square enclosure is new spec after 2000.
My fixture does not have any of that. The flex conduit/nipple connection isn't there, and the access plate is new spec. The one I have is narrower than the tek screws shown holding that plate in place.

The only resemblance is the outer square housing.

I really don't want to cut the fixture out of the ceiling. It would end up 14X14 hole.

Was planning on a quick retrofit!
Old 09-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #8
Pure Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehog67

Expect the worst and hope for the best.
Dierte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by irehog67 View Post
I really don't want to cut the fixture out of the ceiling. It would end up 14X14 hole.

What size hole do you have in your ceiling right now?

ItsaSpider is offline   Reply With Quote