USB Wall Socket - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

USB Wall Socket

I have a lot of USB devices, mostly all of my apple products and have seen USB wall sockets that you can install into your wall that look like a normal socket but obviously with the USB hole in.

I wanted to try and do it myself but I have very limited electrical knowledge. My question is has anybody here done this before? Is it difficult.

I have contacted a local electrician (http://www.anhobsonelectrical.co.uk) in my area and I think he quoted around 30-40 pound to do the job.

It seems like a fair price which is putting me in two minds. Is it better to pay and make sure its done properly or attempt it myself and try and learn - after all I might want to put these sockets around the house later on.

Does anybody know where to get cheap USB sockets? I want ones with 4 USB holes in if possible, if not then 2.

Thanks for any help

Advertisement

ckelly10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

USB Wall Socket

They're the same as installing any other plug socket - turn off the power, unscrew, rescrew. If you're not comfortable with that, then hire someone.

Advertisement

TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:34 AM   #3

USB Wall Socket

Thanks for the reply. Is it really that simple? I thought because there was other other sockets (USB) - it would involve more work as my current ones only have 2 sockets and my new ones would have 4.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,546

USB Wall Socket

The USB plug is part of the receptacle. It is as simple as described. There is no USB connection that will need to make.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #5

USB Wall Socket

Thanks Joed - I think I will brush up on my electrical knowledge and attempt this myself as it sounds like a simple task that even I should be able to do. Also as I can see myself installing these in a few rooms in my house it will work out a lot cheaper than calling in a electrician

Last edited by ckelly10; 11-16-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

USB Wall Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly10 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is it really that simple? I thought because there was other other sockets (USB) - it would involve more work as my current ones only have 2 sockets and my new ones would have 4.
Yeah, they just put a little AC/DC converter inside the switch plate to provide the 5v for the USB, but it still just connects to house power as it normally would from your perspective. Might be a little harder to work with / fit in the box as the back is likely bulkier to account for the extra circuitry, but ti's still just hot, common and ground.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheBobmanNH For This Useful Post:
ckelly10 (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,008

USB Wall Socket

USB ports do more than just charge devices. A USB port IMO should be fed with cat5 or cat 6 cable to provide network capability. I have never heard of a USB plug without connecting a network cable to it? What am I missing here? Are you just looking for USB charging or networking? If its both, than you need to run network cable not electrical cable.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,506

USB Wall Socket

USB charging.
Something along the lines of this. (US version, OP is UK.)
Attached Images

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

USB Wall Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
USB ports do more than just charge devices. A USB port IMO should be fed with cat5 or cat 6 cable to provide network capability. I have never heard of a USB plug without connecting a network cable to it? What am I missing here? Are you just looking for USB charging or networking? If its both, than you need to run network cable not electrical cable.
Most devices are wifi... only the power portion is required. But in regards, the OP is talking strictly USB power ports only.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

USB Wall Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. V. View Post
USB isn't compatible network cabling! Its different technology!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 3,546

USB Wall Socket

The USB receptacles are simply a power source for charging. They have no data capability. There is no network connection possible to them.

Here are some videos that might be useful to you.

Last edited by joed; 11-16-2012 at 08:32 PM.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 506

USB Wall Socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly10 View Post
I have a lot of USB devices, mostly all of my apple products and have seen USB wall sockets that you can install into your wall that look like a normal socket but obviously with the USB hole in.

I wanted to try and do it myself but I have very limited electrical knowledge. My question is has anybody here done this before? Is it difficult.

I have contacted a local electrician (http://www.anhobsonelectrical.co.uk) in my area and I think he quoted around 30-40 pound to do the job.

It seems like a fair price which is putting me in two minds. Is it better to pay and make sure its done properly or attempt it myself and try and learn - after all I might want to put these sockets around the house later on.

Does anybody know where to get cheap USB sockets? I want ones with 4 USB holes in if possible, if not then 2.

Thanks for any help
watch this vid... http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-...b-wall-socket/

Advertisement

epson is offline   Reply With Quote