USB Outlet In The Kitchen - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

USB outlet in the kitchen

We would like to install a USB outlet in the kitchen but we found out that it needs to be GFI type by code however as far as we know there is no USB GFI type in the market. Can someone give us an idea about installing a USB outlet in the kitchen?

Advertisement

maverick1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1968 View Post
We would like to install a USB outlet in the kitchen but we found out that it needs to be GFI type by code however as far as we know there is no USB GFI type in the market. Can someone give us an idea about installing a USB outlet in the kitchen?
You don't have to use a GFCI, it just has to be GFCI protected. This only applies to the receptacles serving the kitchen counters...

Advertisement

Last edited by stickboy1375; 11-05-2012 at 08:19 PM.
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Either install a GFCI breaker in the panel for the entire circuit, or you can replace a receptacle ahead of it on the circuit and use the load side for your USB recept.

I should ask if there are GFI receptacles already in the kitchen?

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #4

most likely you will be taking power from a gfi in the kitchen so as long as u come off the load side of the gfi your usb will be protected
wallajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

The kitchen is under construction. There is no existing GFCI receptacles yet installed.
maverick1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1968 View Post
The kitchen is under construction. There is no existing GFCI receptacles yet installed.
Just have your electrician handle the scenario then...
stickboy1375 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stickboy1375 For This Useful Post:
Speedy Petey (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

Then that receptacle, as long as it's not first in the line, will be GFI protected and you can install the USB outlet. If it has to go first in line, you will need to install a GFI breaker.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,506

Now the bad thing is, you are losing one outlet. I would actually do two of them in a 4 Square, so that even though you may only use two cords at one time, it gives you two outlets in case you need them. Now of course the best place to put those outlets, would be in a area where the phone may sit, or workstation, or even at the breakfast bar.

This past Labor day, mentioned the USB outlets to friends of ours, due to there were 7 iPhones plugged in on their breakfast bar pretty much at one time. Even on their boat, it would have been nice to have one of these outlets, so that we did not have to share two chargers.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 77

I'm not sure that I would want to give up the outlet for USB. Today's wall chargers are much smaller than they used to be. No more wall warts that take up two outlets. My Samsung and iPhone chargers are about 1" cube.

Technology also moves very quickly. Google has already announced that the Nexus 4 phone will have wireless charging. I'm not sure if that can run off of USB, but there it is quite likely that the USB ports we use today for charging will be obsolete in a few years.

For charging multiple devices, USB hubs are available and quite inexpensive.
tev9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tev9999 For This Useful Post:
mpoulton (11-06-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Tev, the Nexus will still need something to power the pad, that it sits on, in order to charge it. The technology has been around for about 2 to 3 years now.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 11-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Rewards Points: 2,040

I would not install USB receptacles. USB may not be relevant much longer (certainly not for the life of the house), and USB charging adapters are tiny now. More importantly, most newer USB-charging devices (including iPhones and all current Androids) do not use the standard USB charging spec. They will charge from a standard port, but VERY SLOWLY. For high speed charging they require a specific smart adapter (like the factory charger) which digitally identifies the device and supplies much more than the 500mA standard USB charging current. My Galaxy Nexus charges about 3X faster on the factory charging adapter than on a regular USB port because of this.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

USB is not going away for a very long time. Both the Cooper & P&S are 2.1a 5vdc.. Cooper makes a USB outlet with two receptacle plug ins, with the USB in the middle, or one receptacle plug in with the USB taking one of the spaces. I can see these becoming the norm where you have a workstation or breakfast bar in the Kitchen area, or even on Boats.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

Also seen plugin USB outlets, i.e. a wall wart that plugs into an existing outlet and has a USB slot at the top and an outlet at the bottom.

Advertisement

toastandjam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contractor , electrical , low voltage