US 220 Volt Range Oven Overseas. - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 08:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

US 220 volt range oven overseas.

I need to connect an american range oven (220 volts ) overseas where the electrical grid is 220 volts single phase. Is it possible?

Advertisement

Jepo_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:11 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,464

No, because the standards are different over there. Plus the cost to ship there, get it through customs, would not be worth it. And overseas, in most countries they actually use a three-phase system.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 09-21-2011 at 10:31 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

You would need to install a control transformer to handle the clock and controls, as well as the oven light(s).

It would take some creative internal rewiring to accomplish, although not impossible.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
No, because the standards are different over there. Plus the cost to ship there, get it through customs, would not be worth it. And overseas, in most countries they actually use a three-phase system.
Depends on which country he is going to....I some how suspect he is military....and they ship everything for you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsparky View Post
You would need to install a control transformer to handle the clock and controls, as well as the oven light(s).

It would take some creative internal rewiring to accomplish, although not impossible.
Once again...depends on the oven....but the bigger issue is going to be the freq....if it's digital.....and the oven uses just the 2 legs + ground (3 prong plug)...then it has it's own step down xformer and would most likely work. If it uses the 4 bladed plug...then it needs the neutral (and 120Vac)....hence, it will not work without the mods you noted.

Jepo....Because of the freq, you have to de-rate the performance by around 10%...and if it's a motor driven clock (which means a very old oven), then the clock would run slow.

I lived in the UK for a couple of years so I'm well aware of the issues.....

So...bottom line....really not worth taking it over there...and if it's getting shipped for free.....put it in storage....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

A single phase 240 volt only stove can be connected to any two legs of a 220 volt 3 phase circuit.

Motorized 60 Hz appliances such as washing machines can overheat on 50 Hz power, it is hard to predict which ones. Some will work okay if you don't run them at maximum load.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:57 AM   #6
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

Most ranges in the US are 120/240 volt devices. In Europe the common voltage is 220 volt and 120 (or 110) is not available. You might be able to do it with a transformer but it is not practical. When Marc wakes up he may chime in.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
frenchelectrican (09-23-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 01:38 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,048

If you can get a schematic diagram (may be one on a sheet of paper glued on the back) you could figure out how any 120 volt components are wired and you could rewire the appliance to feed the 120 volt components with a transformer in turn fed with the 220 volt power.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

rjniles.,

Thanks for mention my name on this one.

Now to the OP let get few details straight .,, Just about all the European system are 50 HZ system and for the voltage it is 415 volts line to line and 240 volt line to neutal.

Really I kinda discourage you bring it over to the European side due the HZ rating and voltage issue plus earth arrangement { ground arrangement }

It possible to use it with transfomer to down step 120/240 volt operation the heating element don't care about the HZ but voltage yeah it will affect.

Majorty of French home have triphase service entrance { 415Y240 volts } but I know few do use single phase service and I know Ddawg will get my drift very quick as he say he used to live in UK so I am not much diffrence in France beside couple items are differnt on electical rules but we will not go there at the moment.

In fact we do have very limited 127 volt service that is about history { the same idea as your old school 120 volt 30 amp service }

The other thing is the service size they are in odd numbers not like what you see in state side EDF { Electrique De France } ( French POCO ) will have few diffrent rates on electrical useage plus service size as well.

Oh Ouias .,, The wiring colour is not the same as well it differnt also so it will get ya a suprised ditto with the receptales { the European term we useally say power socket }

If have more question just ask two of us we will know more answer. { Moi or Ddawg will know as well }

Merci,
Marc

Advertisement