Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #1

Share |

urgent help needed: wiring at a receptacle

I need to add a GFCI receptacle. In this box, I'll have a cable coming from the panel (the feed), and I'll run a cable to the ceiling fan, and another one to the vanity light. I know I can use wire nuts to connect the wires, but I'm hoping to reduce the bulk in the box (all cables are 12 gauge).

So my plan is: feed hot wire in one back side insertion hole, vanity hot wire in the other back side insertion hole, and ceiling fan hot wire connects to the side screw -- all these on the LINE side of the receptacle. The same goes for the neutral wires. (Of course, I'll use a wire nut to connect all the ground wires.)

This should make the connection, but will this be against the code? Doing the wiring today, so a prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

If you are an electrician, what's the best practice here for this situation?
mudworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudworm View Post
I need to add a GFCI receptacle. In this box, I'll have a cable coming from the panel (the feed), and I'll run a cable to the ceiling fan, and another one to the vanity light. I know I can use wire nuts to connect the wires, but I'm hoping to reduce the bulk in the box (all cables are 12 gauge).

So my plan is: feed hot wire in one back side insertion hole, vanity hot wire in the other back side insertion hole, and ceiling fan hot wire connects to the side screw -- all these on the LINE side of the receptacle. The same goes for the neutral wires. (Of course, I'll use a wire nut to connect all the ground wires.)

This should make the connection, but will this be against the code? Doing the wiring today, so a prompt reply will be highly appreciated.

If you are an electrician, what's the best practice here for this situation?

You cannot use the backwire clamps and put another wire under the screw. You can use one feature or the other, but not both. Use pigtails so that you are only connecting one pair of wires (hot/neutral) to the GFCI recept. Don't forget to connect all grounds together and pigtail to the GFCI grounding tab.

If your box is not deep enough to accommodate all this wiring, I'd replace the box with a deeper one.
clashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Cool. I knew that when I wanted to cut corners (or try to be smart), I would be asking for trouble. Thanks for setting me straight.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #4
I=E/R

Where is the switch for the fan and where is the switch for the light? Will the light and fan have switch legs?
a7ecorsair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:28 PM   #5
liscenced electrician

maybe you run to a different box first?
jimmy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #6

The bathroom (with upgraded 12 gauge wiring) had been on an old knob and tube circuit that was recently terminated. I'm now running a dedicated 20Amp circuit to it. The added receptacle is the first outlet on the circuit, and then it goes to the rest of the bathroom (i.e. the vanity light switch box, and the junction box that connects to the ceiling fan and fan switch etc.).

I got started today, but didn't finish. The 12 gauge cables are HARD to work with! This was just my test project before I jump in to more house wiring. Glad that I'm working for myself free of charge; otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford myself.

There will be more best practice questions coming from me. I'm lucky to have found this forum and am grateful to you guys who generously share your experience. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #7
" Euro " electrician

My SOP is use the deep single gang box that is 22 Cu inches for a GFCI receptale. Don't bother the shallow one { 18 cu inches } if you have more than two cable in the single gang box when you use the GFCI.

Otherwise get two or three gang switch if you going have the switches in the same area it will be easier to do this and keep in your mind when you bring the feed to the bathroom as it own circuit it can NOT go anywhere else due you will use the luminaire et fan.

Merci,
Marc
Old 10-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #8

Thanks Marc. I used a 4x4x1 1/2 squirebox and 5/8" mud ring for this receptacle where the most volume is required. Hope that's sufficient. I'll find out today when I wire all the cables up.Yes, everything served by this new circuit is in one bathroom. That includes the ceiling fan and ceiling light (both are wired to a junction box in the attic space).