Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

Upping Generator Voltage??

I have a 120/208 V, 3 phase, 3Kw generator. I am desiring to up the voltage to 230 V so I ran a tool that is rated for 230 V 3phase. Im told I can use boost transformers to do this. Anybody have any advice on how to go about doing this, installation, etc? Do they go before or after the breaker? Thanks for the help.

fury902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by fury902 View Post
I have a 120/208 V, 3 phase, 3Kw generator. I am desiring to up the voltage to 230 V so I ran a tool that is rated for 230 V 3phase. Im told I can use boost transformers to do this. Anybody have any advice on how to go about doing this, installation, etc? Do they go before or after the breaker? Thanks for the help.
Please post the brand and model number of your 120/208v 3 phase generator.

brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #3

It does not have a brand. Its a generator pieced together by the military. 22 horse yanmar diesal engine powering the head, etc.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Master Electrician

where did you find a 230v 3 phase tool?

just guessing but depending on the tool it's likely rated to work on 208v or 240v or anywhere in between
I'm here to learn too, i do mostly commercial/industrial/new construction and this place is a great way to pick up tips on residential from some good electrical minds. Excuse the spelling, my phone has a mind of it's own.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to andrew79 For This Useful Post:
tmguinan (09-23-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 09:28 PM   #5

Quote:
It's very unlikely that you will have an issue with a 230v tool running at 208.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:36 PM   #6

The tool is a Suhner Rotofera. I own a carving shop and specialize in stone and wood and wanted something with more juice, so i got me this. Im concerned with overheating the motor and due to the fact that its a $3000 tool, blowing it out is not on my agenda.

The tool would be expected to opperate on max, 8-10hrs a day...so overheating if not on proper voltage would be a real issue here.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #7

Call the mfg. and ask them, or change the motor.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

First of all this is not a 22 HP diesel generator that is more like 6 maybe 8 HP the most single cylinder diesel generator and that is set up for 3600 rpm useage.

Now there is a connection board inside the control panel so it can be conferated for either single phase or three phase so you will have to make a choice there which way you going to keep if three phase the unit is set up for 208Y120 volts.

If you want to increase the voltage to 230 or 240 volt range you can not able use the 120 volt receptale it will be way too high a voltage so there is other soulation it can be done and I have done this often is use the buck/boost transfomer.

The buck/boost transfomer the excat number will varies a bit but useally 2 or 3 depending if you do required 120 volt load to the machine you plan to use ( I will advise this part is useally done by electrician due there is few tricky part to do the connection )

If your machine can run on 120Y208 volts without issue then you don't need the Buck/Boost transfomer at all.

So check your machine owner manual to see if that can be useable on that voltage or call or Email the manufacter as well to see if they can reply that question.

Useally most I will say most three phase motours useally can run 208 volt without too much trouble ( as long it is stamped on the nameplate to run that voltage level )

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-19-2012, 05:45 AM   #9
Master Electrician

See those studs on the pink insulator to the right of the recep? Aren't those the various cable connection points to derive the different voltages indicated on the nameplate?
brric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #10

Is your "Suhner Rotofera" made for the American market ? Or did you get a European 230V 3-phase 50 Hz model cheap ?

Seeing the nameplate data on the tool would help, as would the nameplate data on the generator.
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Electrical Contractor

Haven't seen CARC paint is a long time!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #12
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

There is probably an adjustable regulator in the generator head somewhere. They are rarely non-adjustable, especially on a military unit. Many regulators are designed with a wide enough range to cover 208V to 240V. If you crank it up to 230-240V though, the 120V receptacle will be about 132V which is too high for many uses. Your motor will probably work fine at around 208V.
mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Lic Electrical Inspector

Quote:
http://www.jeffersonelectric.com/s3/.../buckBoost.pdf
Sizing motors here. Online motor calculator here. Online calculators here.
electures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:30 PM   #14

You can probably get a tech manual for that generator online. Its National Stock Number should be on the nameplate. Go to the Army's Electronic Technical Manual site (https://www.logsa.army.mil/etms) and search by the NIIN (last nine digits of the NSN).
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #15

Frenchelectrician is right - that is in no way a 22 hp engine. It looks like a Yanmar L48-series or similar, and is probably about 6 hp. Be advised that if that's the case, it won't run too well long-term on diesel fuel - it is probably designed to use JP-8. Can you post a picture of the nameplate?

Out of curiosity, just how did you acquire such a new piece of military equipment?

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
brric (09-20-2012), frenchelectrican (09-20-2012)

Tags
3 phase, boost transformer, electrical, generator, voltage