Upgrading Oven/Stove Circuit - Need Help Please - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #1
Fats

Rewards Points: 10

Upgrading Oven/Stove Circuit - Need Help Please

I live in a house built in 1962, which has a 3 wire circuit for the stove. That was fine until I bought a new stove requiring a 4 wire circuit. I have purchased the new 4 wire receptacle, the new cable going from the receptacle to the stove, and 6-3 w ground cable to run to the service panel. My old ITE panel only has two ground bars, it doesn't have seperate neutral bars like I've seen in some of the newer service panels. This is the only service panel I have.

The current 3 wire configuration has Black & Red going to the breaker with the ground connected to the grounding bar. Can I convert to the new 4 wire circuit by connecting it's Black & Red wires to the breaker, and the White wire and ground to the grounding bar?

I thought I read you can do this on the Main service panel, but not subpanels. I am trying avoid the costs of moving to a new panel and hiring an electrician to install it if possible, but I don't want anything that is not safe.

All assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks........Fats

Advertisement

Fats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Leave the existing 3 wire circuit/recep and install a 3wire pigtail on the range.

In existing circuits, this is acceptable.

If you feel the need to install a new circuit, the neutral and ground connect to the same neutral/ground bus bar.

I'd just use the old circuit.

Advertisement

220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
Fats

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs up

Since I'm a dummy and already bought $80 worth of 6-3 w ground, the 4 wire pigtale and recptacle, it looks like I'll be running a new circuit.

Thanks a bunch for your help though.

Fats
Fats is offline   Reply With Quote