Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #1

Share |

Upgrading to a 200 amp panel

I am doing research before replacing a 100 amp panel that was installed before I bought my home. My home is located in southern California and has stucco siding. The meter is surface mounted outside on the back of my house. See attachments. There are several reasons for the upgrade: 1. I installed a 100 amp sub panel in my garage to run my woodworking equipment and need a proper sized main panel to supply both the house and the garage. And 2, I am installing central air conditioning and need a 220V circuit to the condenser unit and I am out of empty spaces. I have a few questions and concerns. My first question is about integrating the old branch circuits and new branch circuits. The old branch circuits are coming in from the back of the panel. They travel up the exterior wall and enter the attic through the top plate. There are what look to be illegal connections coming through the rafter vents down the exterior of the wall with conduit and coming into the left side of the panel (see pic) Now with the new panel I would like to avoid braking the stucco to re-route the old branch circuits on the outside with the other circuits. My plan is to come in from the back of the new panel with the old branch circuits and then run some large rigid conduit to accommodate the illegal looking external connections that I mentioned before. I want provisions for adding future branch circuits in the attic and crawl space. Is rigid conduit with an accessible 90 degree bend the proper connection to allow me to do this? I have seen pictures that look like some sort of sub box where the wires penetrate the wall that would allow for access to run additional branch circuits in the future. Any pictures and suggestions on how to do this would be helpful. I have a good understanding of electricity and have wired panels before but I am a little skeptical of this external mounted main panel. As a note. The large plastic pipe coming from the ground is the under ground supply going to my garage feeding the sub panel that I installed. And I know the location next to the water isn't the best option but that's were the panel was.Thanks for any help
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrading to a 200 amp panel-img_2327.jpg   Upgrading to a 200 amp panel-img_2331.jpg   Upgrading to a 200 amp panel-img_2330.jpg   Upgrading to a 200 amp panel-img_2328.jpg   Upgrading to a 200 amp panel-img_2329.jpg  

Last edited by hartkem; 08-01-2010 at 04:36 PM.
hartkem is offline   Reply With Quote