Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-09-2012, 08:59 PM   #1

Share |

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

I have a shed located about 75 feet from the house. The shed has the pump and filter for our in-ground swimming pool, so there is electric service there already. I believe it is 30 amp service, sufficient to run the pump and lights.

We are now thinking of installing a pool heater, and are looking at heat pump types, because of their higher efficiencies. However, they require 50 amp service just for the heater unit (not counting the main pool pump).

Will I need to run new wiring from the house to the shed, or is there some way I can have the amperage reconfigured from the main panel in the house to the subpanel in the shed without installing new wiring. If new wiring is needed, it would probably kill the whole idea, as there is now a new concrete deck in the way.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Pete

DiamondPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

This almost certainly requires new wiring. If it's in a large enough conduit you may be able to pull the new wire into the old conduit.

mpoulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:29 AM   #3
Electrician

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

Some companies specialIze in directional boring. They can put the new pipe under the deck without disturbing the deck's surface. For short distances you can do this yourself. Or you could go around the deck. Or the wires could go in the air.
Glennsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

You cannot increase the amperes en route without running new wires.

You can increase the wattage available at the far end by keeping the same number of amperes en route but increasing the voltage (using transformers). This depends on not exceeding the voltage rating of the wires (typically 600 volts for household wiring) but at any rate might be more expensive than running new wires, due to the cost of the transformers including one at the far end to get back to the 120/240 volts.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:21 AM   #5
E2 Electrician

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondPete View Post
g. If new wiring is needed, it would probably kill the whole idea, as there is now a new concrete deck in the way.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Pete
You can always do an overhead service to the shed....... as long as you don't go directly over the pool that is...
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondPete View Post
We are now thinking of installing a pool heater, and are looking at heat pump types, because of their higher efficiencies. However, they require 50 amp service just for the heater unit (not counting the main pool pump).

Do you have Natural gas serving your area? Even with a heat pump's efficiency I doubt it is cheaper per btu than gas. Sometimes the marketing material on these things make "aggressive" claims.

In my area N.Gas is 28% the cost of electricity for the same energy. So for a heat pump to be more efficient it has to be use 1 btu of energy to create 4 btu's of heat. I doubt 400% is realizable. This is all moot if you don't have natural gas in your area.

Solar might be a great option if your house is suited for panels.
curiousB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
E2 Electrician

Upgrade Amperage to Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousB View Post
Do you have Natural gas serving your area? Even with a heat pump's efficiency I doubt it is cheaper per btu than gas. Sometimes the marketing material on these things make "aggressive" claims.

In my area N.Gas is 28% the cost of electricity for the same energy. So for a heat pump to be more efficient it has to be use 1 btu of energy to create 4 btu's of heat. I doubt 400% is realizable. This is all moot if you don't have natural gas in your area.

Solar might be a great option if your house is suited for panels.
The thing with heat pumps is your not creating heat, just moving it from one location to another... with that said, I would still opt for propane just for the quickness of raising the pool temperature much quicker.

stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote