Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #1

Share |

upfront

I have a dewalt power shop from my father-in law. It is old but great shape. I have it in my shop. The shop is wired off a 15 amp breaker. I can dado with it but when i start to rip with it it will lose speed and shut down. Do i need to put on a differnt breaker. thanks

upfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 05:17 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Bocolo

upfront

The short answer is NO. Breaker amps are based on wire size or the other way around. If you have 12 awg wire on the circuit you can then put a 20 amp breaker. By code your 15 amp breaker should be using 14 awg wire. You can rewire the circuit with 12/2 and then change your breaker to 20 amps. You might be overworking your Dewalt. Post more details about the tool and some of the other guys here will be able to help you out.

Bocolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:50 AM   #3

upfront

A shop of any size should have more capacity than 15 amp in most every case. What is this shop? Is it attached to the house?
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Electrical Contractor

upfront

If the breaker is not tripping, then the problem may be the saw.
Does it slow down or stop?
Old 02-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #5

upfront

It could also be you're using the wrong blade for ripping, the cut is binding, wet wood... More details are needed.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #6

upfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47_47 View Post
It could also be you're using the wrong blade for ripping, the cut is binding, wet wood... More details are needed.
If dadoing pulls more current than ripping then I
doubt it's the breaker.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 PM   #7

upfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
If dadoing pulls more current than ripping then I
doubt it's the breaker.
I've never had a reason to measure the current draw between the two, but I think the motor is slowing / stalling by the op's procedures.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #8
the Musigician

upfront

dull blade? needs new brushes?

DM
Old 03-09-2009, 10:46 PM   #9

Smile

upfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocolo View Post
The short answer is NO. Breaker amps are based on wire size or the other way around. If you have 12 awg wire on the circuit you can then put a 20 amp breaker. By code your 15 amp breaker should be using 14 awg wire. You can rewire the circuit with 12/2 and then change your breaker to 20 amps. You might be overworking your Dewalt. Post more details about the tool and some of the other guys here will be able to help you out.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #10

upfront

I was lookin at he book and it says to use a in lin 30 amp fuse what ever that means a a wir no smaller than a 12 thanks
Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #11

upfront

Quote:
Originally Posted by upfront View Post
I was lookin at he book and it says to use a in lin 30 amp fuse what ever that means a a wir no smaller than a 12 thanks
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/mm5/g...0553-1_med.jpg

You should probably use a slow blow fuse for this application; ask the saw manuf. for a recommended fuse part number.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #12

upfront

Quote:
i posted before about the dewalt power shop .Here is some moore info. about it. hp 1.5 amp14/7 volts 120/240 rpm 3600 cy 60.I said it bogs down when i try to rip with it and shuts down,can dado all right. Have 15 breaker to shop. Question is should i use a 20 or 30 breaker for it? The book says to use a inline 30 amp fuse for it. thanks
Old 03-19-2009, 09:29 PM   #13
Licensed Electrical Cont.

upfront

Quote:
Question is should i use a 20 or 30 breaker for it? The book says to use a inline 30 amp fuse for it. thanks
This question has been answered already.
NO, you cannot simply use a larger breaker.

Please answer some of the questions that have been asked.
Is the shop attached to detached from the house?

Any other circuits in there? Do you know what size wire is run?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
Idiot Emeritus

upfront

Ripping with a circular saw likely takes more power than dadoing, plus ripping takes a longer time.

When the saw shuts down, does it trip the 15 amp breaker, or the overload built into the motor?

A 15 amp circuit is too small for this saw. It'll work OK until the saw is loaded for a long time, like while ripping. A 20 amp breaker with #12 wire would be OK, if it's not over about 50' from the panel.

If possible, run a new circuit from the panel, #14 is OK, use a two-pole 15 amp breaker, and re-connect the motor for 240 volts. You'll need to replace the plug on the cord with a 15 amp 250 volt one, and install a similar receptacle. You'll be absolutely amazed at the difference in cutting power.

Rob

P.S. If the wire is #14, the maximum breaker size is 15, If it's #12, 20 amp is max. A 30 amp breaker needs #10 wire. Any voltage. One of the very few exceptions to this is a permanently connected (hard-wired) motor, not cord-and-plug. Even if this saw were hard-wired, #14 is too small for 120 volts. It'd be OK for 240 volts though.
micromind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 10:04 PM   #15

upfront

If the breaker is not tripping then changing the breaker or rewiring for 240v will accomplish nothing. I agree with 47 47 it sounds like you are useing the wrong type, dull, or cheap blade or you are feeding to fast when ripping.
Jack

hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote