Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2008, 02:43 PM   #1

Share |

updating 100A Service

My home currently has a 100a service with a panelbox outside feeding another panel box inside. The indoor panal box has all the circuits in the house ran to it. I suppose the outdoor one was only used because the NEC would not allow the Service entrance cable be ran to the location of the indoor box. I am planning on updating my service to 200a. I am planning on doing it in steps. First rewire the house and update some of the old wire and bringing it up to the 2008 code. Second, updating the service size to 200a. I was wondering if the code allowed you to replace my indoor panelbox with one rated for 200a still being feed by the same 100a panel outdoors? The outdoor panel has a 100a breaker that supplies the house. I will have it wired this way until the first until I am ready to finish the upgrade and go to 200a in which I will change out the SE cable and box outside, and feeder to the indoor box.

Last edited by gnharrold; 12-27-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: title change
gnharrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:14 PM   #2
Licensed Electrician

updating 100A Service

There is no problem feeding a 200 amp panel with a 100 amp circuit as you propose to do.

I would contact my local building inspector to have him check to see if the outside disconnect is actually required. If it is, you might want to go with a 200 Amp meter/main outside rather than a panel.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
DIY'er

updating 100A Service

Sounds like an ok plan.

Questions:

1. Why do you need to upgrade to 200a service? Are you adding a large load or are you currently tripping your main?

2. Is there something wrong with your old wiring that your redoing it?

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #4

updating 100A Service

I am wanting to update my service because I want to update some appliances in my home and some of them require 200a service. There is no immediate problem with the house wiring but I just want to upgade the recepticals that have the grounding conduter. My house is old and my current recps only have two slots.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #5
DIY'er

updating 100A Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnharrold View Post
I am wanting to update my service because I want to update some appliances in my home and some of them require 200a service. There is no immediate problem with the house wiring but I just want to upgade the recepticals that have the grounding conduter. My house is old and my current recps only have two slots.
There are virtually* no home appliances that require 100a service. With a large draw appliance, you might need more capacity. Did someone tell you that you need 200a service to run a certain appliance?

Jamie

*electric instant hot water heater, & large heat pump are the only 2 that come to mind, maybe some steam generators.
Old 12-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

updating 100A Service

I planning on purchasing a new tankless hot water heater and the specs on it say it needs a 200a service
Old 12-27-2008, 03:42 PM   #7

updating 100A Service

I know that the 100 amp service i currently have is fine for my current demand but I also know that 200a services are more common these days. I may not get that water heater but I do plan on expanding my home and just want to be prepared for the future instead of upgrading after a problem surfaces.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
DIY'er

updating 100A Service

Quote:
I planning on purchasing a new tankless hot water heater and the specs on it say it needs a 200a service
It is one of the very few household items that requires that much power. Many many people here very much dislike the tankless electrics for a number of reasons. I don't suggest you get one.

Jamie
Old 12-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #9

updating 100A Service

Quote:
You may want to ask around for opinions of electric tankless heaters.
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:48 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

updating 100A Service

Quote:

It depending on where you located and water tempture { cold water side } and unit size .,

As far for my expernanice I allready done both North America verison and just not too long ago Europeain verison { I am in Paris France right now }

IMO the large one some are ok some are not worth a crap.

For point of use that will be ok but for whole house set up I really doubit it unless you get gas fired verison it may work better but both required larger service anyway { either electric or gas depending on which verison }

One house sometime back one person did have 2 whole house tankless heater BTW they are at 24 KW each naw .,, it is not a misprint at all and the service size it need min of 400 amp { 320 class metering set up } but end up putting in 600 A 3 208Y120 system it seems work ok.

For European verison it is not much diffrent than what you see in North America system beside strict POCO regulations .,

Merci,Marc

frenchelectrican is offline   Reply With Quote