Up Late Trying To Install A Plug - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 12:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Up late trying to install a plug

Hi all,

I'm having a few beers and was trying to install a full time power to a bedroom that has 1 light switch, 2 different lights powered by said switch and 1 plug on the far side of the room. Now I've done some electrical before but in old houses, things puzzle me sometimes. I have a line and a neutral in the switch only one. I have a line and a neutral in one light octagonal box, only one. I also have 2 lines in the second octagonal box for the second light box. What I'm wondering is how do you power two lights from a switch which has no other lines coming from it, not sure how this is interrupting the power. Both lights turn on and off at the same time... If someone can help a drunk electricute himself, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Helmsman

Advertisement

Last edited by 1Helmsman; 01-19-2010 at 12:44 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #2

Sorry, I need 1 full time receptacle from said power. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 01-19-2010, 12:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

No Electrician here, but I do have on bit of logical advice. and let it be known I enjoy a good beer too. but drinking and electrical probably not the smartest move one could make.

Lap of judgment around power that could kill you or at least zap you pretty bad may not be the smartest.

Some pictures might help everyone here.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #4

Oh come on, 120 power I share with my friends for fun. I use proper tools, am very safe, and don't do anything I shouldn't even while having a beer or two. Hence asking this puzzling question. If you are afraid of your own shadow, then so be it, but don't give me lectures on safety. Thanks for all your help in my question, it made me take a whole different outlook on life and electrical. You were a big help.

Regards,
Helmsman
Old 01-19-2010, 01:04 AM   #5

Well Thank you, I am sorry I was not trying to insult you but common

Scared of my own shadow NO! - COMMON SENSE!

I take precautions but try and use common sense.

I am not going to start an argument about what I am scared of or not just try and use common sense in life.

I helped the question, asking for pictures so someone else has more information to help with your original post.

No lecture, like you said your safe I was just stating that common sense and logic seem to differ from your decision
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 AM   #6

No problem, here's some pics.

Can't understand how the switch gets power and also shuts both lights off without another line coming out of it. Doesn't a switch interrupt electricity between 2 points? So how does one line coming into a switch turn off 2 lights?
Attached Thumbnails
Up late trying to install a plug-100_0488.jpg   Up late trying to install a plug-100_0489.jpg   Up late trying to install a plug-100_0490.jpg  
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #7

I apologize Canyon,

What I said was uncalled for. I'm just frustrated with this rat-beaten apartment, want to install a flat-screen Tv and am frustrated with this old wiring from hacks. I shoudln't take it out on you, you were just trying to be helpful and informative. I don't drink that much, I was just trying to get help from a catchy title or message. Just frustrated, sorry.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Helmsman View Post
I apologize Canyon,

What I said was uncalled for. I'm just frustrated with this rat-beaten apartment, want to install a flat-screen Tv and am frustrated with this old wiring from hacks. I shoudln't take it out on you, you were just trying to be helpful and informative. I don't drink that much, I was just trying to get help from a catchy title or message. Just frustrated, sorry.
Thank you Helsman - I am sorry if I was rude too uncalled for.

I have not been in your situation exactly but other ones similar - Plumbing comes to mind and yes late and night after a beer and dinner I know the feeling.

Hope someone can help you tonight.

I am there with you about the flat screen hope it gets up soon.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:35 AM   #9

Thanks bud,

Thanks for accepting my apology. I appreciate it, really. In plumbing does the water go to 2 places with one main feed without another coming out of it? lol... too frustrating, I'm just not seeing it.

I know it's there, cause I'm witnessing it, I just hate not being able to figure it out. I'm thinking the feed is coming from a receptacle, but I still cant figure out how the switch is turning both lights off with only 1 line coming in and nothing coming out.

UG
Old 01-19-2010, 05:03 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Did you mention apartment? Are you a tenant? You may not even be legally allowed to install your own electrical wiring.

As for the beers, I would not even attempt to do anything while under the influence of any amount of alcohol.

From your photos, I would guess that there is another junction box or hidden splice on this circuit. Installing an outlet is impossible without locating the buried splice ...

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #11
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Agree if you are renting you should have you landlord hire an electrician do the work.

You said there are two lights, look in the other light, you should find your line from the panel there.

Ah yes one other thing a beer probably ok a few beers not ok.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000

Alcohol & electric do not mix
Your landlord is responsible for the electric in your Apt, contact them

Advertisement

Closed Thread