Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

Share |

Unusual electrical issue

Hello to all. I am glad that I found this forum, and hope to be able to assist some of you (with whatever knowledge I have) and certainly hope that you can help me with my problem.

I have an outlet which I use to plug my main TV into in the livingroom. I use a conditioned power strip to protect my equipment, plugging it into the outlet and then my TV, DVD Player, etc into the power strip.

Back in August I was watching the Olympics on my RCA 32" TV set. Suddenly it just turned off. When I went to turn it back on, nothing. No sound, no picture, zip. All you get is a red LED light (instead of green when it is on properly).

Originally and up until yesterday I thought it was a result of a blown transformer and/or shotty RCA craftsmanship as I did read up on RCA after the fact and read a lot of bad reviews about their products (who knew). However yesterday my roommate decided to take out the old power strip, put in a new one and plug in my older Panasonic TV so that we could watch movies/TV in the livingroom again. As soon as the TV was turned on, same problem. No picture, no sound, nothing.

The only common thing between the two (other than the obvious result) is the outlet. The only thing I could think of is that somehow their is a current issue there, but I'm confused because current should be consistent thru the entire house, right? The other oddity, as it were, is that it only affected the TVs that were plugged in; my DVD player and receiver work perfectly fine.

I am at a loss as to what the issue is. My roommate told me that she had an issue with the switch that controls the outlet some time ago (it was smoking or something?) and had an electrician come out who fixed it. The switch turns on/off the top outlet, but we were using the bottom outlet. There was also no problems with the outlet of this nature before or since getting it "fixed" prior to when the initial TV went dead during the Olympics.

Now it seems as though we have lost TWO televisions to the same outlet. We both have TVs in our rooms which work perfectly fine. As I said, this is a very odd problem, or at least it is to me.

If anyone has any ideas on what is wrong with the outlet, the TV(s) or anything else that might help resolve this please let me know. Thank you in advance for all your help and for reading this. I hope to hear back from you and to be a contributing member of the group.

LosLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #2

Unusual electrical issue

I can't be to sure whats going on...I really think is a loose neutral on that outlet. Plug a lamp in that outlet, then plug something high load, like a space heater into it. Does the light go bright or dim? Don't leave the space heater on long though!

rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #3

Unusual electrical issue

There are conditions that will send up to 240V to the 120V outlets.

You need to have a professional check the circuit out.

In my experience, TV's have built in protection and simply shut themselves off in these conditions.

Call someone.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #4

Unusual electrical issue

Thanks for the quick replies!

I wondered the same thing about the TVs ... don't most TVs have a fuse that would blow first if there was a spike or other issue?

I was wondering if there could be a 240V issue, obviously the surge protector would save it from a spike, but not the regular current. Any ideas on how much (best guess) it might cost to have it checked out/fixed?
LosLobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:28 PM   #5

Unusual electrical issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosLobo View Post
Thanks for the quick replies!

I wondered the same thing about the TVs ... don't most TVs have a fuse that would blow first if there was a spike or other issue?

I was wondering if there could be a 240V issue, obviously the surge protector would save it from a spike, but not the regular current. Any ideas on how much (best guess) it might cost to have it checked out/fixed?
Checking it out shouldn't cost much, and fixing it really depends on what is not working (could be alot of things).
rgsgww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #6

Unusual electrical issue

So the TV's don't work anymore when plugged into other outlets?
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #7

Unusual electrical issue

Are there any switches on the wall that you can't figure out what they control? Might control the receptacle.
If not a switch then a loose connection somewhere. Might not even be in the receptacle that is not working.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:44 PM   #8

Unusual electrical issue

A higher voltage for more than a second or so makes surge protectors smell bad and affects their performance in a negative way.
This would be somewhat in keeping the TVs having failed, if they have failed.

Now I'm thinking loose neutral. . .?

What's makes this tricky is that the surge protector, the TV fuse and the TV gizzards all have their own I-squared-T ratings, so it's hard to say what melts first, and what has just been wounded (so it fails later).

Last edited by Yoyizit; 11-10-2008 at 01:46 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote