Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #1
RST
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 150

Unsupported wire in crawlspace

Recently bought a ranch house. The older (1949) part is over a crawlspace. The wires for the receptacle circuits run down there. The wires are unsupported, meaning they run from one outlet to the next without any clamps or staples. The wires are clamped on the inside of the receptacle boxes but that's it. On one of the "newer" circuits that runs to a 1979 addition, the wire is actually lying on the ground (!).

(1) Is any of this acceptable? If not, can I just staple the wires to the bottom of the joists at four foot intervals to provide support?

(2) Eventually I plan to replace the wires because the circuits are ungrounded. Would it be better to run the new wires (a) through holes in the joists, (b) stapled to furring strips, (c) stapled directly to the bottom of joists? I think all options are legal, so is there a preferred way?

For now, I am just going to run a #10 ground wire back to the panel for any receptacles that need a ground. Thought about the GFCI route, but would prefer a true ground for my computer, TV, and refrigerator.

Thanks, RST

RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

I think there is a maximum unsupported spacing a wire can go, but not sure what it is. I usually just stable at every couple feet. I would advise the same - quick job. I would also fix the one that's on the ground. It may get in the way when you are in there, and also may even get accidentally pulled when taking out something big like the Christmas tree or other big items that might be stored there.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST View Post

(1) Is any of this acceptable? If not, can I just staple the wires to the bottom of the joists at four foot intervals to provide support?
Thanks, RST
No this is not acceptable, NM cable should be supported as follows,

334.30 Securing and Supporting. Nonmetallic-sheathed
cable shall be supported and secured by staples, cable ties,
straps, hangers, or similar fittings designed and installed so
as not to damage the cable, at intervals not exceeding 1.4 m
(4
1/2 ft) and within 300 mm (12 in.) of every outlet box,
junction box, cabinet, or fitting. Flat cables shall not be
stapled on edge.
Sections of cable protected from physical damage by
raceway shall not be required to be secured within the
raceway.

The 2008 Nec requires NM cable installed in crawl spaces to be run in holes. However in NC this requirement was one of the few that was not adoppeted, so its still ok to staple here.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #4
RST
DIY Homeowner

Rewards Points: 150

Thanks, that's what I thought. I will staple for now. My state is on NEC 2008 (with a few exceptions). I'm not sure if my AHJ is, but my preference was to drill holes for the new runs anyway.

Changing topics, I noticed that my state adopted NEC 2008 but did not adopt the tamper-resistant receptacle requirement. Why would they disregard the TR requirement, is there a lot of controversy? I'm not crazy about them, but as the father of a toddler I can see the benefit of them and plan to install them when upgrading.

Robert
RST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Inspector/Instructor

Rewards Points: 250

It varies from state to state, depends on how the contractors and building associations lobby, some think it gets to costly to have all things adopted. In NC they took out the drilling of joists in crawl spaces but not in basements. They also tried to have AFCI's taken out but the General Assembly saw it differently.
codeone is offline   Reply With Quote