Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Unnecessary wall outlets in the way

I am trying to widen a closet entry from a single door to a flat track barn door. Problem is there is an electrical outlet on each side of the current doorway that have to be removed.

I can find the circuit breaker & cut the wires but how do I secure/tape off the wires so that they do not pose an electrical or fire hazard?

Call an electrician... right?

GalwayLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,238

You just can't cut the wires and be done.
You will need to move the receptacles away from the new door, and run a new wire from one to the other.

GalwayLady (05-30-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I think I'll call an electrician. I don't want to move the outlets. We don't need them. I want them completely disconnected and the wires removed. So... I do need an electrician.
GalwayLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,238

Code requires receptacles a certain distance apart, so removing them could be a code violation and cause problems when you go to sell the place.
Speedy Petey (05-31-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,020

Little confused... if it's a barn door , doesn't that just slide outside the wall.

But anyway, if it's a code issue, yes we have distinct code as to adequet recepticals on walls... would have to know exactly your room layout

If it's a safety issue, and you want it gone safely, you have to not just tape/nut it off at the receptical, but de-energize it at your panel (or before your panel).

You don't sound real comfortable around electical, and an electrician, or a competant friend could advise you after looking over your wiring specs.

Good Luck
Old 05-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,434

Receptacles in habitable rooms need to be within 6' of each side of the entry into the room. You may need to keep the receptacles. Areas behind the swing of the door counts towards this space. I would consider the sliding area the same.
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-30-2013), Speedy Petey (05-31-2013)
Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #7
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Little confused... if it's a barn door , doesn't that just slide outside the wall.
I suspect she means either a pocket door or by pass sliding doors.
Either way... making a (28"?) swing opening much wider than it is now.
Wide enough to interfere with the receptacles to each side.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:15 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,132

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfan View Post
Code requires receptacles a certain distance apart, so removing them could be a code violation and cause problems when you go to sell the place.
Oh, I don't think so. There's not one potential buyer in a million who would notice something like that. And if they did and chose not to buy the house because of it, they didn't want the house very badly.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-02-2013), sublime2 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #9
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

You won't know until you get the wall open but there may be a circuit running through those outlets. Removing one or both of them might pose a problem for other outlets, in the room and possibly elsewhere in the house.

One quick way to tell if this is a problem would be to remove the outlet's wall plate and loosen the outlet from the box. Pull it out just enough to look at the wires connected to it AND inside the box. If there's just one cable coming into the box then it's independent. But if there's more than one cable coming in/out of the box then removing it might cause something else to lose power. If there's just one cable coming in then you'd need to find the other end. Which could be in another outlet or all the way back at the breaker panel. You cannot just cap off the lines and leave them live inside the wall.

Note, a cable is going to be made up of more than one wire. Typically 3 in new setups, one white, one black and a bare copper one for ground. Older wiring may not be as easy to distinguish. That and older wire insulation is MUCH more fragile, so you have to exercise great care when handling it. Move it too much and the insulation might fail and then you've got a bigger problem on your hands.

As for code, the point is to have outlets spaced evenly enough between doors and along walls to keep people from having to use extension cords. There's more to it than that, but that's an easy explanation. What does the rest of the wall on either side of the doorway look like? How wide are the sections? How close are the next outlets? A picture would help.

If all this sounds challenging then it would probably be worthwhile to have an electrician come in to take a look.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Oh, I don't think so. There's not one potential buyer in a million who would notice something like that. And if they did and chose not to buy the house because of it, they didn't want the house very badly.
Maybe not, but their idiot HI might. About all they know is how to look for stuff like that.
herdfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:12 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
That's not the issue. The issue is the home is going to be inspected by presumably a professional inspector who could notice that.

It's not a showstopper though. If it shows up on the inspection report, then you can negotiate with the buyer with the other things on the inspection report to have certain ones fixed, or give some monetary compensation built in to your negotiated asking price. These things happen all the time.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post

That's not the issue. The issue is the home is going to be inspected by presumably a professional inspector who could notice that.

It's not a showstopper though. If it shows up on the inspection report, then you can negotiate with the buyer with the other things on the inspection report to have certain ones fixed, or give some monetary compensation built in to your negotiated asking price. These things happen all the time.
They do happen all the time but rarely do they happen for outlet spacing.
Very FEW PEOPLE, home inspectors would ever notice that. I doubt many HI even know the full
N E C.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,450

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
They do happen all the time but rarely do they happen for outlet spacing.
Very FEW PEOPLE, home inspectors would ever notice that. I doubt many HI even know the full
N E C.
I meant items show up on home inspections that get negotiated all the time, not this specific thing. My point being, even if it is noticed doesn't mean you have to correct it.

I doubt many HI know the NEC as well.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
sublime2 (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,080

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I meant items show up on home inspections that get negotiated all the time, not this specific thing. My point being, even if it is noticed doesn't mean you have to correct it.
Just like the most common one: ungrounded outlets.

There are some aspects like wet areas that need to be addressed...
but there is rarely a need for an across the board rewire project.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical wiring