Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Angry

unknown electrical problem?

this weekend one light switch to a room stopped working (there are 6 pot lights on this switch)... i replaced the switch today and IT doesnt work either...i've reset every breaker in the house...same result...i initially thought was only thing NOT working but just realized a wall plug not far from this switch is not working either....i didnt wire the house so i really dont know where everything goes...the switch in question is in a triple bank of wall switches...the other 2 work fine..this SUDDENLY just happened...any help woud be GREATLY appreciated...the light is in my kitchen and i'm tired of BURNING everything!!

sway1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Let me start by saying that when it comes to electrical issues within your home it is always best to call a professional. Ensure that the power is turned off to your lights and the outlet. Are the other switches in the bank of switches working properly? if so are they all "pigtailed" together, you will probably find a red wire nut with a single wire going to each of the switches if they are. If they are "Pigtailed" check that the connection here is good and tight. If not, check the wiring at the outlet to make sure that all connections are still tight. The expansion and contraction of the wires can lead to it loosening up which will cause extremely small arcs that can actually damage the wire making it break. your light switch might be fed after passing through the outlet.

mtsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you can do some basic troubleshooting you do not need to call a Pro
Check for a GFCI outlet
Check to make sure that all breakers are on
--sometimes they look like they are on but are tripped

Do you know what circuit breaker controls the lights ?
Breaker panels are supposed to list the rooms they power

Where are you located ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway1963 View Post
this weekend one light switch to a room stopped working (there are 6 pot lights on this switch)... i replaced the switch today and IT doesnt work either...i've reset every breaker in the house...same result...i initially thought was only thing NOT working but just realized a wall plug not far from this switch is not working either....i didnt wire the house so i really dont know where everything goes...the switch in question is in a triple bank of wall switches...the other 2 work fine..this SUDDENLY just happened...any help woud be GREATLY appreciated...the light is in my kitchen and i'm tired of BURNING everything!!
The key to finding the problem would (probably) be at the outlet. Check for broken Neutral. In tracing electrical problems, there's no magic formula or theory. It's a lot of legwork. (Rhetorically speaking. Unless kicking the outlets or switches back to life would help) I would be the One Millionth electrician (on this website) to advise you to acquire some basic electrical tools and learn how to use them; i.e. A Multimeter. Digital or Analog. Then you'll certainly be able to pinpoint the problem.!
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote