DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Underwater Electrical Connection

8K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Wildie 
#1 ·
I have a sump pump at loading dock that has an electrical outlet that is about 1 foot below grade and it is GFI protected. The only problem when it rains hard the pump cannot keep up, and the water rises up to the plug and the GFI shuts down the power. It there and way I can make the connection water proof get rid of the plug altogether? I will then remove the old breaker at the electrical panel and replace it with a GFI one. What is the easiest way to do this?:huh:

#3 ·
I agree with Joed get the receptale move up higher spot and get second pump set up so that way if you get hevey rain it will able keep up with it.

But check the discharge line to see if they can handle the extra flow with second pump.

Merci.
Marc

#5 ·
This is BAD BAD BAD! Not only does your pump not work because the GFI shuts it off right when you need it most, but the GFI is deceptively not eliminating the electrical hazard! Since the incoming power to the receptacle stays energized even after the GFI trips, your floodwater is electrified even after the pump is shut off. You definitely need that receptacle moved up higher - it is not code compliant to have a receptacle in an area subject to immersion, and it's definitely not safe.

#7 ·
Thanks for the info, I will be moving the GFI up higher under the dock. But I need to re-connect the wires after the GFI is removed (in the sump) , do you have any suggestions on how to water-proof my electrical connections? Thanks:)
To clarify, you mean you need to extend the cord on the pump? Was it originally hard-wired to the GFI, or was it plugged into a GFI receptacle? I'm going to assume it was plugged in, and the problem is that the cord is not long enough to reach out of the sump to the new GFI location. The most "correct" solution would be to replace the pump with one that has a longer cord. However, you can get waterproof cable splicing kits intended for submersible cable connections. Using one of these kits to extend the cable will void the UL listing on the pump, but will solve your problem. Alternatively, you could install an immersion-rated receptacle in the current location, and put an immersion-rated plug on the pump. That would probably be more expensive than replacing the pump, though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.