Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:17 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Underground Wires

Also, I'm looking to run a line to a jacuzzi underground (240v/50amp)
1. What size wire (I was planning on using #6)
2. What type of wire? (Outdoor Romex in conduit is a no no I've heard?)
3. What size/type of conduit should I use?

Thanks so much!

ralph44e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Underground Wires

1 1/4" pvc with four #6 use or rhhh wires. you can use thnn wire but be sure all couplings on the pipe are water tight.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #3

Underground Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
1 1/4" pvc with four #6 use or rhhh wires. you can use thnn wire but be sure all couplings on the pipe are water tight.
Where do you see the designations RHHH and THNN. Do you mean RHH and THHN? Both of these conductors cannot be used in wet locations.

Most THHN is dual rated THWN and would be compliant in a wet location.
The wire must be listed for wet locations for buried conduit. Conduit size can be smaller also.

There is no such thing as a buried water tight conduit run. It just will not happen. Even if it was water tight it still would be full of water in short order.

OP. Consider the enclosure picture below. It has a GFCI contactor, disconnect and required 120 volt GFCI convenience receptacle all included in one box. Just feed it with a standard 50 amp breaker from the panel.

Sorry the picture is not that good. This one is around $100.00.
I would suggest you contact a licensed electrician before attempting this job. This is very dangerous. There are many rules. Do you know all the safety rules and how to do this right? Don't take a chance on someones life to save a few bucks.
Attached Images

Last edited by J. V.; 02-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.
J. V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Underground Wires

Pay attention to response from JV. This should be done by licensed electrician for safety and homeowner insurance reasons. Should there be some type of unfortunate accident resulting in injury or loss of property and it is found to be because of faulty unlicensed/non inspected work, you will be left to fend for yourself in court.

Adding an extra receptacle over your workbench, a DIY project.....tapping a 50 amp subpanel feed off of your main, NOT.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #5

Underground Wires

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
Pay attention to response from JV. This should be done by licensed electrician for safety and homeowner insurance reasons. Should there be some type of unfortunate accident resulting in injury or loss of property and it is found to be because of faulty unlicensed/non inspected work, you will be left to fend for yourself in court.

Adding an extra receptacle over your workbench, a DIY project.....tapping a 50 amp subpanel feed off of your main, NOT.
I'm sorry but sub-panels are run by homeowners all the time
The difference is this is a hot tub & you must make sure you meet all code requirements FOR a hot un setup
I've installed (3) - new - hot tubs & once you know the requirements it's pretty straightforward
The problem is that most people do not reserach the requirements
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
240v, conduit, jacuzzi, romex, underground