Underground Electrical Conduit In Ontario Canada. A Few Questions... - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Underground Electrical Conduit in Ontario Canada. A few questions...

Hi Group;

My first post. I want to build a pool from a kit, and a small shed or at least a concrete slab to mount the filtration equipment near the pool. This would be some distance from the house, roughly 50 foot of gas and electrical run.

I did some research into this, in terms of running an electrical and gas supply to the pump and pool heater, and I believe they are both do-able.

So I'll ask a few questions, and if anyone knows the Ontario (Canada) code on any of these, please add your feedback. Thanks to any who choose to assist.

1. I assume that I can run a 15 or 20 amp circuit from my house to my pool equipment, with a wire buried in a trench. I know the wire must be protected with a few different options, wood or concrete above the cable.
Question: Can I run an approved underground gas pipe in the same trench?

2. Must the gas and electrical supplies be separated by a certain distance or material?

3. Can I use a PVC conduit to enclose my electrical cable in the ground?

4. Since this is for a pool, should I use a GFCI at the panel for this circuit? (I really think the answer is yes on this one).

5. From the guide that I downloaded, it appears that cables with a metal sheath can be located 450 mm below grade, in non-vehicular areas (such as my backyard). Is this true? Doesn't this seem too shallow for frost reasons??? I live in Ottawa, where it does get pretty cold. But if frost heave is not a concern, at 450 mm, please say so.

6. By metal sheath, I assume they mean the spiral covering that is right on the cable (not a conduit).

That's it for now. Again thanks, Tom Kay, Ottawa.

Advertisement

rrmerlin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,506

Wish I knew all the answers but I don't.
1.&2. from ESA site
http://www.esasafe.com/faqs.htm
Quote:
I am having a buried cable installed to my swimming pool. Can the cable be buried in the same trench as the gas pipe supplying the pool heater and/or barbeque?
Answer

Yes, they are permitted to be buried in the same trench.

Where possible, electrical wiring and other services that parallel each other in the trench shall not be installed in the same vertical plane and shall be separated horizontally by a minimum of 300 mm within the trench.

Where electrical wiring and other service cross over each other, they shall be separated vertically by a minimum 300 mm at the point of crossing.

Note the marking requirement for buried electrical wiring contained in the subject 12-33-26 “Buried wiring guidelines”.

Rule 12-012 and CSA Standard C22.3 No. 7 for Underground Systems.

Ontario Electrical Safety Code 25th Edition/2012
Quote:
Question
Does the Ontario Code require ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) protection for sump pumps or water pressure system pumps in homes?
Answer

No, the Code does not require GFCI protection of these specific appliances unless they are supplied by receptacles that happen to be within 1.5 m (5') of a sink, are installed out of doors and located within 2.5 m (8' 2") of ground level, or are within 3 m (10') of a pool or hot tub, or as required by manufacturer installation instructions.

Rules 26-700, 26-710, 26-714, 68-068.

Ontario Electrical Safety Code 25th Edition/2012
Not sure what you mean by the cable with a metal sheath. It must a wet location rated cable.

Quote:
Question
What does the Ontario Electrical Safety Code require when burying a non metallic sheathed cable supplying a shed, a detached garage, a post mounted receptacle, a 120 volt light fixture in my yard, or similar things?
Answer

The Code requires non metallic sheathed cable (NMWU) to be buried at least 600 mm (24") below non-vehicular areas and 900 mm (36") below vehicular areas. An example of a vehicular area is a laneway, an example of a non-vehicular area is a lawn.

The Code permits these depths to be reduced by 150 mm (6") where mechanical protection is placed in the trench above the cable.

Direct buried conductors (NMWU) shall be installed so that they run adjacent to each other and do not cross over each other and with a layer of screened sand with a maximum particle size of 4.75 mm or screened earth at least 75 mm deep both above and below the conductors.

A suitable electrical warning marker tape shall be buried along and above the cable route and be located approximately halfway between the cable and finished grade.

Where mechanical protection is used for reduced depth, it shall consist of one of the following and, when in flat form, shall be wide enough to extend at least 50 mm beyond the conductor, cables, or raceways on each side:

(a) Treated planking at least 38 mm thick; or

(b) Poured concrete at least 50 mm thick; or

(c) Concrete slabs at least 50 mm thick; or

(d) Concrete encasement at least 50 mm thick; or

(e) Other suitable material.

Rule 12-012.

Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Good job Joed, or should I call you Lancaster? (Nice picture).

What I meant by metal sheathed cable, is the spiral steel wrap that is seen on some electrical cables. I'm not sure if it's bought that way, sheath and conductors all in one, but it probably is.

Is it acceptable to use pvc conduit in the ground? I mean as long as it's sealed at any joints with proper glue?

And as for direct buried conductors, (NMWU) can they just literally be buried without a conduit to protect them? I know you need decent quality screened sand or screened earth around them, and a type of protection above them, plus warning tape. It just seems odd that you can bury a 14 gauge or 12 gauge cable without additional protection wrapped around it.

My observation of the 300 mm distance between say, a gas pipe and an electrical conductor, is that obviously this would be a pretty substantial trench. 300 mm is 12" or so, and I think you need room on either side of the electrical conductor.

Thank you ! Tom.
rrmerlin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 11:08 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 3,506

The metal clad cable you refer to is not wet rated. All cable underground even in conduit are consider to be wet location.
NMWU can be direct buried. It needs to go deeper than if it is in conduit.
It is acceptable to use PVC underground.
A 12" wide trench with electrical on one side and gas on the other would be suitable I think.