Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Share |

Underground electric entrance

NOt sure this is the right place and not sure it is a question. I guess it is more of a "would you do it" type of post.

Our electricity comes into the house underground into the garage throught the foundation.

There seems to be a leak coming from the seal around the pipe containing the wires. There is no water in the box itself, that is why we think it is just the seal between the pipe and the foundation.

My husband seems to think he can just dig down and around the entrance at the foundation and re-seal it. He does not seem to think that we need to have the electricity shut off by the utility co. To me this sounds like a really bad idea.

The electrician I spoke to said he would repair it from the inside but only after the electricity to the house has been turned off.

Am I being too cautious or do I need to make my husband understand that he should not play with electricity?

BandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek

Can you post a picture of the problem area? If the service entrance conductors are in conduit, it's probably fine to dig around them. However, if the wire is directly buried, or only sleeved in conduit where it goes through the foundation, then it would be a very bad idea to dig around it. Those wires have no fuses or circuit breakers protecting them. If they get hit with a shovel and short circuit, the result will be an amazing volcano of burning metal that WILL NOT STOP until the power company comes out and shuts it off - by which time your house will be well on fire.

mpoulton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Really confused on where it is leaking. If leaking at the foundation where the conduit enters, then just dig around the foundation and fix. Now, if the conduit is rusted and needs replaced, then your electrician is correct and will need to schedule with the POCO to disconnect power while replacing it.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

I will try to take pictures tonight.
The thing is we can't really see the leak. We just see the water running down on the wall behind the box. And it looks like it is directly under where the wires would be coming in.
BandE is offline   Reply With Quote