DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   underground code (

tom b 10-08-2007 07:55 AM

underground code
I ran this post yesterday by mistake in the wrong forum and recieved no views but mine and 2 others.

Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1 code for underground service
I tried to get an ans. at nyseg's web site but all it would refer me to is NEC sect XVI spec.1 . When I tried to look up code on underground service at NEC the web wants me to buy a book. Great but I need an ans. now! I'm building a home in the back of my field, 400 ft. straight from the main road. I have trenched 450' at 36" or better dept. put in a site for a transformer pad and trenched 210' to the entry site of the home. Questions, sch. 40 0r 80 under driveway at 3' depth and 2' depth also under parking pad? Direct burial cable for first 450' to transformer pad different than from transformer pad 210' to home? Direct burial cable, bury directly or put in sch. 40 for length of run not under roadways? I have direct bury cable from verizon and to be delivered heavy direct bury cable from cable tv, they recommend no pvc required. My neighbors recommend pvc for full length not just under road. Cost can get out of hand quick but don't want to install poorly. Recommendations and code for direct bury of elect. if possible. Don't mind doing work myself, just want to know what's required and can't seem to find it on line so far. Thanks Tom

ChristopherSprks 10-08-2007 12:14 PM

sch40 below grade.
sch80 above grade and under driveway/car park
min depth 24" .......36" is great

I too recommend full run of pvc.

Ask your utility what is required for them to maintain and be responible for feeders to the transformer and house.

Stubbie 10-08-2007 12:55 PM

Lots of things to cover in what your doing. Poco will dictate what they allow for burial depths on service lateral but sounds like you should be ok at the depths you posted. Conduit is best for entire run. Direct burial is fine also and commonly done..however some utilities will not want that service lateral direct buried. Need to check.

You need to know your dwelling service size and wire size for that long run of yours from point of connection to power company wires and then to your transformer. In some areas the power company will supply the wire (you may pay for it though) and you will be required to install the conduit with a pull rope in the conduit for the power company to pull their wires.

You will need to know the wire size so you can determine the conduit size, this information is easily obtained from the power company.

Andy in ATL 10-08-2007 03:51 PM

Well certainly conduit is best... but pricey and a pain the the a$$. The POCO in GA runs all THEIR underground using cable assemblies, so it should be good enough for you:thumbsup:

tom b 10-08-2007 07:34 PM

Thanks to Christopher sparks, stubbie and Andy in Atl for your timely input. The house service will be 200 amps but I haven't gotten to NYSEG in NY yet to give me the requirments for the cable. From the pole to the transformer they will supply at the 450' run. The pole to transformer run is no less than 39" and most at 44" only because I'm just learning to use the backhoe I just bought. The run from the transformer to the house service is all 30". I'm very tempted to just go sand in the trench which NYSEG allows as the pvc is very costly. I will decide tomorrow when I meet with my two bidding electricians. All have given me food for thought from non-bidding professionals. I leave you with NY's state quote which lately seems very profound. Crecit eundo (it grows as it goes). Thanks again, Tom

michaelpwalton1 10-08-2007 10:17 PM

Most Service Utility Companies have a booklet available which list all the requirements for their services and also require a Service and Meter location request form to be filed. (Peco in PA calls it their Blue Book). It will list and show diagrams of the trench, back fill (fines) acceptable types of wire, minimum wire size (based on service load) etc. If they don't require conduit, I would not use it.
If you are setting a pad for a xformer, they may require PVC sweeps to enter the splice area / compartment and a ground rod.

slender9 03-22-2008 11:30 PM

I will be picking you this blue book from PECO. I have a some what related question. my property has power lines running along the north side and east side of my property line. This makes it impossible for me to plant any trees north of my house. Does anyone know of any instance where PECO buried power lines when requested by the property owners?


wire_twister 03-23-2008 08:12 AM

They will bury them around here(east central GA) if you want, but you must pay by the foot, and only if the wires are going to your house.

handyman78 03-23-2008 10:55 AM

A recommendation for the tv cable and possibly phone lines- I have a rather short length between the cable & phone companie's disconnect at the curb of my property. While those companies are responsible for the connections underground to the house, well developed roots over the years have cause the lines to be replaced at least 3 times in 15 years due to poor/weak connectivity over time. I would have much rather installed a simple pvc conduit and easily pull new when necessary than having them slice the lawn each time with their cable machines.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1