Underground Circuit To Water Fountain - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Underground circuit to water fountain

I would like to run an underground circuit from a fuse panel to a water fountain about 50 to 60 feet away. I doubt if there ever would be anything plugged into that outlet that would exceed 15 amps, but 20 might be a safer bet, and if it's not too expensive, I could wire it for 30, which would probably be the maximum for the fuse controlling the circuit. This circuit will also have an outlet very close to the fuse box (which is outdoors) for using tools out in the yard. This will be a DIY project from start to finish, but I might have to hire someone to run a trencher to dig the trench for the wiring if I run into too many roots. We recently had a row of trees along the side of our property cut down (last year) but the large root system (and these are big roots!) goes all over that part of the yard. They are more of a problem than the rocks. I cut through several of these when I put in a rose garden with a reciprocating saw. A few questions: 1.) Considering a trade-off between digging through tree roots, rocks, etc., would I do well to dig a shallower trench (this will be done by hand) and use metal conduit for protection or PVC conduit and go deeper? 2.) I have had bad experiences with stray RF radiation tripping GFI outlets in my garage when I tried transmitting with my ham radio equipment. Is there any problem with using a standard 3 wire grounded outlet or does the NEC require GFI for all outdoor electrical wiring now? 3.) Can I wire the circuit with aluminum wiring, or will there likely be a problem with the old fuse box not being compatible with aluminum? I understand that newer outlets can be used with aluminum wiring, and that it requires a larger gauge wire to carry the same amount of current. I've always used copper before. 4.) Can I run Romex type wiring in a conduit? I have some 12 or 10 gauge copper Romex wire left over from a previous project and might have enough to do the job (not sure). Or do I have to use separate insulated wiring for this? My guess is that if I have even a few bends in the conduit, it will be very difficult to pull the wire through and that stranded will be needed if just for practical reasons. Thanks for your replies ahead of time. Donald

Advertisement

t2000kw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Use 3/4 inch PVC with the fewest 90's possible (max 4) and #12 thwn black, white and green COPPER (not romex) on a 20 amp breaker. GFCI protect it at the source (Use a GFCI breaker or install a GFCI outlet at the panel and run from there.)

And use PARAGRAPHS!!

Advertisement

Last edited by 220/221; 08-18-2008 at 01:33 AM.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
Use 3/4 inch PVC with the fewest 90's possible (max 4) and #12 thwn black, white and green COPPER (not romex) on a 20 amp breaker. GFCI protect it at the source (Use a GFCI breaker or install a GFCI outlet at the panel and run from there.)

And use PARAGRAPHS!!
For my fish pond I have installed 14/2 grounded copper cable rated for direct burial.
In my area this requires burial at 18" and covered with PT lumber.
Inside it is connected to a ground fault receptacle, that is fed from its own 15 amp breaker.
The pond pump is 3/4 HP ( 5 amps running current) and there is lots of reserve for a 10 watt fountain pump!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

If you protect this circuit with a GFCI device and limit it to 20 amps or less, you can direct bury a type UF wire 12" deep. Conduit would protect it a little bit but still must be 12" deep. Any receptacle outlet out doors must be GFCI protected. #12 for 20amp and #14 for 15amp.

As you see from Wildie's post, local codes can vary from the National code.

Last edited by jrclen; 08-18-2008 at 05:17 PM.
jrclen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Electrician

Dont forget to take a look at Article 680 V. Fountains also.
chris75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Dont forget to take a look at Article 680 V. Fountains also.
Absolutely.

Advertisement

Tags
circuit , electrical , underground , wiring