Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Retired Electrician

Share |
Question

Underground branch circuits

I am not familiar with the National Electrical Codes in the USA. but now have an interest in a home in a State much warmer than Alberta and plan on doing some improvements.
How far from a swimming pool do I have to be and yet still be able to bury ENMT to protect the conductors, or do I have to use rigid conduit if I have it within 2 feet of the pool?
What type of wire must I use for underground feeders and branch circuit wiring?
May I use NMD3 (Dry conditions) wire for fishing into columns and into soffits for lighting and fans, or must I use NMW 10 (Wet conditions) for outside?
Are Garbage Disposal units, Refrigerators and Micro Waves all required to have their branch circuits, or can they be connected to general lighting and receptacle circuits?
Thanks Gentlemen I am sure this will answer my most pressing concerns for the time being.
D Rodwell

FLICKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #2

Not intrested in your post,call an electric guy

bobelectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:45 PM   #3
Retired Electrician

Mr BobElectric, I have been a certified journyman with a red seal in Canada for several decades. I don't intend to install the pool nor it's wiring, it is being done by the pool contractor and the electrical work better be done by a certified electical contractor. I wish only to add some lighting around the yard and a couple of fans under the under the roof overhang (Soffits). the pool will be close to the side yard (within 4 feet) thus my question about the proximity of the wiring near the pool to install the patio lighting. The wiring for the switches will have to be fished inside the columns then to the fans, thus my question about the type of wire. The house was built in 2007, I am wondering what rules are in effect here, that may be different from the Canadian Electrical Code of which I am more familiar.
Thanks for any info.
D Rodwell
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

What is most important, and you know how to break stuff down from most to least important.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 10-28-2012 at 09:47 AM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:58 PM   #5
Retired Electrician

Question

1 How close to a pool can there be underground wiring, can it be in ENMT Plastic or must it be rigid metal conduit?
2 What type of wire for underground conductors fr patio lighting?
3 What type of of Loomex or Ronex NMD3 or NMW10 to fish into outside columns for fans and lights?
4 Do refrigerators, garbage disposals and micro waves require seperate circuits in a house built in 2007.
Thanks, (I can give you the answers that apply here in Canada, but they may be different in the USA.)
D Rodwell
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

Since you are in Canada, the restrictions are a lot tighter than they are here in the U.S..
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 AM   #7

He is not IN Canada. He is FROM Canada asking about the NEC rules for a place he has bought in the USA.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed View Post
He is not IN Canada. He is FROM Canada asking about the NEC rules for a place he has bought in the USA.
They have Interest in a home south of the border, which means that he has not bought.

The OP best bet is to scope through previous info on here, grab a copy of the NEC, and break down what they want to do, when they actually purchase the home, and find issues that need to be fixed if they are screwed up beyond proper safety levels.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Nobody here can accurately answer your questions without at least knowing exactly where this house is located. The NEC is the NEC, but different jurisdictions may be under different editions of it. For example, when I built my house three years ago in WV, NEC 2005 applied. I think now the 2008 version applies.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #10
Retired Electrician

Thumbs up

Hey Guys, I'm from Canada and am in Canada. We have purchased a house to visit mostly during the winter when it is much less cold than it is here. I have spent many years working outside in the cold, its not that bad, as you get used to it. When you are in and out of the cold, it gets real ugly after a bit. Next time we visit, a pool may have been started with all ancillary equipment. Outdoor lighting and fans are still req'd in the summer, thus my questions, as I'm not familiar with your rules and regs in the NEC. I'm sorry not to made myself more clear in my intentions and purpaces. May I thank you all for the usefull info I was able to obtain.
Thanks again.
D Rodwell
Calgary, Canada
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Everything is wired the same as it is in Canada, just not very restrictive in a lot of places. As for fans outside, I know of no one that has one down here, unless you live in Florida or the Gulf coast.

Really suggest you get the home, and if you find a problem that you can not figure out by reading the info available through the NEC or books, then ask away. Putting the cart before the horse is not going to solve anything.