Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Undercabinet lighting spacing

I am getting ready to put up new cabinets and install under the cabinet lighting. Does anyone have any reccomendations on how far apart to space my lights and the best way to conceal the wiring?

wbjdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Rze
Average Joe

I just did this same task not long ago. As to wiring, I ran the cords on the TOP of the cabinets and ran the wires down to the lights down the inside of the cabinets on the left side. Wires are easily concealed and held in place with a little tack. I had rewired the whole kitchen so place an outlet very near the top of the cabinets (actually the same outlet that was installed for the over the stove microwave).

As for placement, that is a personal choice. My decision to use under cabinet lighting stemmed from the fact that I didn't want to have to worry about countertop task lighting from the main lights in the room. I placed them at least 1 light for every 3 linear feet and that seems to cover very well.

I was EXTREMELY happy with the outcome! Good Luck!

Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:58 PM   #3
World famous jerk.

When recessed lighting is ordered by the customer, I generally install one under each upper cabinet. They have a recessed area underneath, so you can't use a fixture quite as wide as the overall width of the upper cabinet. I center the widest fixture that I can under each upper cabinet. In the case of puck lighting, I try to space them out so that the "dots" of light are somewhat evenly spaced out along the entire counter area. Lately, I prefer xenon undercabinet lighting. Keep your eyes peeled for the LED undercabinet lighting that's starting to hit the market. High dollar right now, but really neat stuff.
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #4

mdshunk,

What kind of under cabinet lighting do you use, I want to use xenon 12v... Can I run a wire from a wall switch to turn all the lights on.

What type of wire do you use with these..

Any info greatly appreciated

TonyD
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote