Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #1
flemingetq

Rewards Points: 10
Under-tile Heating Deadicated Circuit help?

Greetings all

I have a pretty simple (stupid) question regarding under-tile heating cable for a bathroom.
The install instructions that I was reading in the store stated that the heating cable (mat) needs to have a deadicated circuit.?? What is this??
I have one deplex recepticle in the shower room which is located on other wall so the 1m rule should not apply or do I still need to install a GFCI?
How does one make this (deplex recepticle) a deadicated circuit for the install of under-tile cable heating (mat) for this small room.
I live in Ontario Canada so the OEC rules will apply. Any help would be great. My e-mail is jrothernel@live.com thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers

flemingetq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
Electrician

Rewards Points: 510

Means you have to run a circuit all the way back to your panel and this circuit can not have anything else on it

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

A dedicated circuit is a circuit that is ran from the panel to a specific location with no other load on it. In your case, a 15 or 20 amp GFCI for the tile heater.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but in my experience these floor heaters are notorious for having a short lifespan. Either all, or, part of the webbing often fails to work in a couple of years, and you will obviously not be able to replace/repair the webbing once it's under the tile without ripping out the tile.

Another method for heating floors is radiant floor heating which uses hot water lines ran through transfer plates that are mounted under the sub floor. Hope this helps a bit.

Rick
http://myhandyadvice.blogspot.com/
sharpsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Electric Radiant Heating

Rewards Points: 150

Sharp is partially correct, if you use a line voltage "mat" system, most come with a 10 year element warranty. Just be very careful installing it and you should be ok.

You could also use a low voltage system (which still requires a dedicated circuit) that requires a little more work because you shap the element to the space but comes with a 25 year element warranty. It is a completely different element that doesn't 'burn out'.

Just keep in mind that you get what you pay for. Buy a cheap product, get a cheap product.

Tags
deadicated circuit, under-tile heating