Under Cabinet Lights - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Under cabinet lights

I used to have some under cabinet fluorescent lights. Since I hate fluorescent lights, I was glad when they died. One of those lights was under the cabinets on the left of the attached pic. The power comes directly out of the wall and is controlled by the switch on the left. This can be seen in the other pic.

So, I installed a few new lights from a kit. They're under the cabinets on the left of the included pic. My wife liked them so much that we got another two sets. We want to put one set over the stove. What I'm wondering is if I can just drill a hole through the bottom of the cabinet and run the wires through the cabinets. This would keep the wires hidden, especially where they would have to run down the outside of the cabinet to the upper left of the stove. The reason why I'm wondering this is because if we try to sell the house at some point, will we have problems because these wires are running through the cabinets?

The lights are each rated for 120V.
Attached Thumbnails
Under cabinet lights-lights2.jpg   Under cabinet lights-lights3.jpg  

Advertisement

dismas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 02:10 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Under cabinet lights

I can offer a couple of suggestions that may be worth considering. I have seen enough "professional" installation of wires in cabinets to assume that this practice must be acceptable. However, all such examples I have seen have the wires in conduit (rigid or flexible), to protect from inadvertant damage and shock. Second, make sure you put all connections (wire nuts in lower photo) in junction box. Exposed connections such at the ones you have are not good.

As a personal view, I think this also happens to look better, and as if the installer knew what they were doing.

Advertisement

oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Under cabinet lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberkc View Post
Second, make sure you put all connections (wire nuts in lower photo) in junction box. Exposed connections such at the ones you have are not good.
What options do I have for a junction box for this? Do they make one that just tucks up under there?
dismas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Under cabinet lights

I have a situation very similar to yours. I found a thin junction box at one of the usual outlets. It is about 1" thick. If I recall, they are pretty commonly available. I mounted the switch in mine, as well as the wire connections.
oberkc is offline   Reply With Quote