Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2006, 07:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

under cabinet lighting ideas

i plan on installing under cabinet lighting once the kitchen is ready, i am looking for any lighting tips or ideas. i like the look of the long light strip that would go under the overhead cabinets and another strip below the couner top. also, i assume the wiring must have a hole drilled from inside the lower cabinet into the basement to be routed to the box, is that correct?

THEBIGPUNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #2
Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

The hot stuff in todays high-end homes is dimmable everything. Dimmable rope lighting under the toe kicks. All types of under cabinet lighting, dimmable Halogens create 'spots of warmth'. The rope lighting, is 'even and subtile'. Under the counter top is new to me.

I'm currently working on some LED 'micro spots' for task lighting. You can get the stuff from RadioShack.

The ceiling cans are out on a lot of homes and in on others. The big 6"ers are out altogether. 4" or small Halogens are in. Pendant lights are very in as is Halogen track lighting.

I'm just curious, why are kitchens getting sexier than bedrooms?

Teetorbilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 12:49 AM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Teeter has given you some excellent suggestion. However it has to do with how much you want to spend. I would say if your looking for something that will give you nice illumination for a very reasonable price. Hockey pucks are the way to go. (puck lightening.) But they are doing some awesome stuff with Leds. Which stands for light emitting dios.(spelling on dios.)
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 05:46 PM   #4
Been around the block

Rewards Points: 10

go to a lighting suppy house and gets some undercabinet lights. either zenon or halogen i would stay away from flourescent lights. Typically you would just run your wires in series from light to light but it is a lot easier to run each light its on line to a junction box in the basement
eleservtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 02:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

on the "hocikey puck" lights. While the lights seem nice...they all appear to plug into an outlet, with a switch inline with the lights....not a very clean appearance....

is this still the case ?
mahjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Been around the block

hockey pucks are a very tacky homedepot way of aproching it. But the answer is yes if they are 12volt and no if they are 120volt.
eleservtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:18 AM   #7

Please do not dig up a 3+ year old thread to spam this site with a link to your (?) online store
abbtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 01:57 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Here's some of my experiences:

I installed 12 volt halogens puck lights under my upper cabinets - way too hot. You could not hold your hand on the inside bottom of the cabinet. Was sure to damage or at the least discolor the cabinet. I installed 4"x6" piece of sheet metal between the light and the cabinet to disapate the heat - now warm, not hot. If I had a do-over I would have used LED pucks or strips.

A buddy of mine had a shallow pantry/closet - with a single light at the ceiling. A problem his wife complained of was poor lighting on the shelves. He installed a rope light around the inside of the door frame. Very even light, all the shelves well lit, and looks nice in that you don't see or realize the source of the light.

Upon the recommendation of someone here on the forum I lit my island with two pendants - with a recessed can light between them. Works great - the pendants are the "jewelry" lighting and function as a night light (with low wattage use CFL bulbs), and when you need more working light you turn on the recessed light.

Good luck!
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

How DIY can this job be? What steps do you think a handy person can do themselves, which things absolutely require an electrician?
kelley4180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #10
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,434

Pucks give off a very uneven source of light. Rope light may be even until the bulbs start to burn out. You will need to replace the whole rope when you get tired of the dark spots.

Wiring methods will depend on the system you choose.

Juno has a line of LED undercabinet lights that look promising.

Jim Port is online now   Reply With Quote