Under Cabinet Lighting - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-28-2006, 11:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Under cabinet lighting

I am remodeling my kitchen and would like to install under cabinet lighting. Im thinking of using xenon...which is a better choice 120v or 12v... Can I set these up to one switch with a dimmer and waht would be the best way to wire.

TonyD

Advertisement

TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Under cabinet lighting

I use the Seagull 12v xenon, they are not as hot as the 120v. I used to use the 120v, but they get too hot. You cannot use a dimmer on these, but they have a high/low switch.

Advertisement

Last edited by BIGRED; 10-29-2006 at 09:34 AM.
BIGRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 09:05 PM   #3

Under cabinet lighting

Thanks for the reply
Old 10-30-2006, 07:07 AM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

Under cabinet lighting

many under cabinets are approved like table lamps... polarized no ground. However, I purchased SVT wire (round 3 conductor like on a vacuum cleaner) and glued along the bottom inside edge of the cabinet.

Then drilled through the bottom little lip of the cabinet and through the drywall, and fished down to the box just below.

An added note, both 12v and 120v systems can be dimmable, however they may require special dimmers (electronic transformers work best with electronic dimmers for instance). But some types of bulbs are not dimmable regardless.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:13 AM   #5

Under cabinet lighting

That is a butcher job and it is illegal, you cannot put extension cord in wall! The Seagull fixtures come with a cord and plug or without, for hard wire installs.

Last edited by BIGRED; 10-30-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Under cabinet lighting

Mine were for hard wiring only with no ground! I grounded them anyway. SVT is double insulated and way more rugged than any 12-2 you can buy. It is in the wall for like 4 inches. No "electrician" I could have wired around here would have come up with anything safer and certainly not neater.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #7

Under cabinet lighting

big red, when i put the lights under the cabinets, do i run the wire into the wall and then to the next light.. im just trying to find the best way to conceal the wiring.

tonyd
Old 10-30-2006, 09:31 PM   #8

Under cabinet lighting

HACK JOB! TonyD, I run the wires inside the walls, when you put the cabinets up, bring the wire out in the style of the cabinet.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:31 PM   #9

Under cabinet lighting

i have all the walls open and just started running elect for outlets and recessed lighting. so now i can run all the wires in the wall, low voltage wiring and bring each wire into the bottom of the cabinet. ok...can i run all the lights to a central switch on a wall.

tonyd
Old 11-07-2006, 02:31 PM   #10

Under cabinet lighting

Can you run those 12v xenon lights by seagull ....From 1 light to a Junction box in the basement and the to another light and so on. If so, what size wire is recommended and do I need a transformer.

Thanks

TonyD
Old 11-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #11
World famous jerk.

Under cabinet lighting

crecore... are you famaliar with what happens to the SVT jacket over time? Are you also aware that its use as you've described is a NEC code violation? Are you aware that its use as you've described is a violation of its listing in the UL General Guide (white book)? Are you aware that the 'V' in SVT is for "vacuum sweeper", as in it is designed for use on vacuum sweepers? Are you also aware that its use as you have done qualifies you as a hack?
mdshunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Under cabinet lighting

yes
yes
yes
yes
no

jerk
Old 11-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #13

Under cabinet lighting

Could someone who has installed undercabinet lighting before please help me. I have all my walls open and access to the basement. I want to run the wires & just need to know if it should be 14/2 ran from each puck to a J box in the basement. Where does the transformer come into play since I read that they have to be close to the actual lights. Any info please.

TonyD
Old 11-16-2006, 12:38 PM   #14
Rze
Average Joe

Rewards Points: 77

Under cabinet lighting

When I had my walls opened, I installed an outlet above the stove for the microwave. When I ran the under cabinet lights, I ran the wires and tranformers along the TOP of the cabinets and then ran the powr to the lights down the inside of the cabinets on the left hand side. I plugged them into the new microwave outlet by just drilling a hole in the top of the cabinet. Very neat. No "hidden wires" in the walls and no visible wires rom the lights. An efficient Microwave and 1/2 lights....no problem
Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 06:01 PM   #15

Under cabinet lighting

Ok , I have read alot of stuff but I need some solid answers. Can I run a 14/2 from where each light will be into the wall and to the basement and then have the wire jump from juction box to junction box. Should I put the transformer also in the basement. Thanks all

Tony D

Advertisement