Unable To Find Out How To Wire A Dimmable Light Transformer - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Unable to find out how to wire a dimmable light transformer

I thought I would be able to find info about how to wire my new transformer but I'm not having any luck. I bought a Lightech LET 301 dimmable transformer, shown here:

http://www.lightology.com/index.cfm/method-light.store_profile/sku-1244XF-LET3011-ELEAC-00AL/dept-Power%20Supply/szdept_label-

I'm replacing the transformer in my ribbon track lighting system that houses five 12V 20W halogen bulbs and is controlled by a single dimmer light switch.

According to the wiring instructions on the box the transformer came in, the two black/white wires are 120V and the two blue wires are 12V. As you can see in the picture of the transformer I bought, it specifies that the "Input" is 120V and the "Output" is 12V.

Something I feel should be noted here is the 120V "Input" wires are much thinner than the 12V "Output" wires. This really confuses me since I would assume the 120V "Input" wires would be the thicker wires and the 12V "Output" wires would be the thinner wires, but I'm not an electrical engineer so what do I know.

Anway, here are the wires I have coming out of my ceiling light electrical box:

2 red wires
2 black wires
2 white wires
1 bare copper wire

And finally, I have the 2 thin wires from the ribbon track lighting system.

If someone could share with me how to properly wire my new transformer up, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

Mark

Advertisement

Last edited by Maleko; 02-05-2010 at 12:25 AM.
Maleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:45 AM   #2
Glad To Be Here

Connection data: http://www.lightingfx.com/media/images/LET-301-AC.pdf

Advertisement

Pro_DYIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #3

Unhappy

Thanks for the info but I was hoping someone could advise me on each connection of all the wires I listed since I don't have a complete understanding of electrical wiring and I'm trying to learn.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:32 AM   #4
Glad To Be Here

How was the original xfmr wired? Which wires were used and how were they connected and to what? If you still have the original xfmr, who is the manufacturer and what model is it?
Pro_DYIer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 AM   #5

Unfortunately, I don't know any of that info but I do have the info off the old xfmr though.

Toroidal Transformer
Model: DLR 12105B-RS
Orientronic Manufacturing LTD
Old 02-05-2010, 06:09 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

The reason why your 120 volt wires are much smaller than your low voltage wires on the transformer is because even though it's low voltage the resistance is greater. Much like when you have low voltage landscape wiring you will notice they use a thicker wire.
Now from the looks of it you don't have a ground on this transformer so the bare copper wire just tuck away in the box. Splice the two whites together that are in the box with the white from the transformer and do the same with the blacks. Now if I'm correct the two reds are not spliced together right? You will take one red and splice it to one blue and the other red and splice it with the other blue. just make sure you have the power off before doing this
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

For the sake of explanation, assume you have a 120watt transformer. That means its design input is 120v at 1a. The output delivers essentially 120watts, but it's at 12v at 10a. Hence, you can see that the secondary wire must be thicker.
oilseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:44 PM   #8

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by dSilanskas View Post
Splice the two whites together that are in the box with the white from the transformer and do the same with the blacks. Now if I'm correct the two reds are not spliced together right? You will take one red and splice it to one blue and the other red and splice it with the other blue. just make sure you have the power off before doing this
When I splice 1 of the red wires (out of the ceiling electrical box) with 1 of the blue, 12V output wires (from the transformer), I should also include one of the wires from the ribbon track lighting system, right? If I'm understanding it correctly, I would end up mirroring this splice with the other wire from the ribbon track light system, right?
Old 02-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 250

I'm sorry I totaly misread the post it was early in the morning yesterday. This is what you have to to do.

Step one make sure the switch is off
Step two Take one of the blue wires from the transformer and splice with with one of the wires from the track. Do the same for the other blue wire splice it with the other wire from the track.
Step three splice the white wire from the transformer to the two white wires in the ceiling box.
Step four you need to find out what wire is being switched by the swich either the black or the red. The easy way to to figure it out is take the switch plate off and see what wires you have attached to the switch. You will have either a black and a red or you will have two blacks. If you have a black and a red splice the red wire in the ceiling box to the black wire of the transformer. If you have two black wires attached to the switch splice the black wire from the transformer to the black wires in the ceiling box. It might see a bit confusing just remember one step at a time and don't freak out you can do it.
dSilanskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 02:07 AM   #10

Unhappy

Thanks a ton for your assistance, dSilanska. The wires inside the electrical switch box on the wall are red, black, white, and the bare copper wire.

The old Lutron dimmer switch I was using is a Low Voltage dimmer switch that has 2 black wires coming out of the back (1 wire was spliced to the red wire in the ESB (electrical switch box) and the other wire was spliced to the black wire in the ESB) and a green/ground wire spliced to the bare copper wire.

The electrical supply where I bought the electronic transformer told me I need to replace the old Lutron dimmer switch that was being used with the the old magnetic transformer since my new transformer is electronic. They sold me a Lutron DVELV-300P. Here's the PDF file of the installation instructions:

http://www.lutron.com/CMS400/WorkArea/downloadasset.aspx?id=23957

This Low Voltage dimmer switch has 3 wires (excluding the green/ground) - a black, a white, and a yellow. I spliced the white to the white in the ESB, the black to the black in the ESB, and the yellow to the red in the ESB.

I completed all the steps you listed, and since the previous switch was wired to the red and black wires in the ESB, I spliced the black wire from the transformer to the 2 red wires coming out of the celing box leaving the 2 black wires coming out of the celing box spliced to each other. Unfortunately, the light did not come on in this configuration. I hope we can figure this out...I feel like I'm so close!

Advertisement

Tags
dimmable , electrical wiring , lighting , transformer