Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

UK Flexible conduit in home

Hi all, was wondering if it is OK to use flexible conduit in a household for electrical work, for example to provide a preinstall method for pulling cable in wall.
Thanks.

funtime180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:57 AM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

It depends on what you jurisdiction allows. Call your local building official and ask the question.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:24 PM   #3
" Euro " electrician

Which area are you from and what type of flexiable conduit or conductor you are talking about ??

There are a bit diffrent rules to deal with it.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #4

Arrow

Let me explain in a bit more detail what I am trying to get at.
I lived in Spain for a few years and am now planing on returning to the UK, while I have been living here, I have picked up a few techniques about electrical installation. The way in which cabling is done over here is to mount flexible conduit into the wall then apply the plaster and paint. After then they pull the cable around inside the walls. All this gave me an idea that if the same method was applied in the UK, then I would not have to re-plaster the entire wall to install a cable in a wall at a later date. This would be real useful to finish outstanding projects around the home at a later date without having to re-plaster everywhere just for a run of cable, be it electrical, data, audio, etc.

The kind of conduit I would use would not be dissimilar to what can be found in screwfix.com or the alike. The cable would be anything from 1mm - 2.5mm depending on application, or maybe specialized cable for sound and visual needs.

I hope that this explains my situation further, and look forward to any and all responses.
funtime180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
" Euro " electrician

There are few approved fexiable conduit which you can put in the wall and patch it over the plaster and just pay attetion where you bring in the power from due some case you may snag into the ring circuit or radial circuits they have diffrent way to deal with it.

Oh yeah with most recent UK regulations they will required RCD protection anyway.

As far for the conductor size it will depending on where you hit the circuit and most circuit normally requeid minum of 1.5mm˛ or larger depending on the circuit itself.

Merci.
Marc