Ugly Cablevision Phone Cables Everywhere! - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2012, 12:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!

I recently switched over from AT&T phone/cable/Internet service to Cablevision.

The problem with both services is the coax cable coming through a hole in the wall from outside and then a phone line from their modem stapled to the floor board and tied into the phone outlet inside. Then there's my phone lines, the coax cable to the TV... It's a disgusting mess.

I'd like to install a combination phone line and cable outlet in the wall and get rid of as much loose wiring as possible. The phone line would come through the same area as the cable and I'd wire it on the other end to the main box outside the house.

I have no experience with this so my question is can I take the phone line from the Cablevision modem and simply plug it into the outlet and get all the phones in the house to work or does it have to be hard wired or piggybacked inside the outlet?

Advertisement

Peter D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #2
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

If you have a finished basement it's very hard to do, but if it's unfinished then it should be a breeze. Basically you'd make a hole in the wall where you want the jack, get a very long drill bit and drill down through that hole, go in the basement look for where the hole is (check for saw dust on the ground) and then you can run the wires from the basement to the jack.

You can also do this from the attic but it's a huge pain to work up there so I usually avoid it myself if I can. But some attics are more accessible than others.

Advertisement

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000
Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

If you don't mind a little drywall repair you can put them anywhere. Or you may be able to make some small holes and fish them through. Depends on how the home was built.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #4

Thanks guys. The house is built on a slab so there's no basement. But I made lots of progress today.

First I discovered a non-working phone outlet behind my wife's desk that the cable installers ignored.

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-422014246.jpg

What the heck? Looks like someone painted over the scotch tape on top of the coax cable.

This house has had a couple of previous owners who installed various business lines all over the place all of which are all disconnected. So I went into the attic to investigate. This mess reminds me of the wiring harness on my '73 Beetle:

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-408352031.jpg

I traced one of these wires goes down into the living room. Then I found another dead outlet behind the couch (we've only been here 8 months so I didn't realize it was there). I took that outlet apart and saw that the wire continued downstairs to the office.

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-767732786.jpg

I took black and yellow off and attached red and green and it worked! I had a dial tone! Couldn't believe it.

Unfortunately, the wire behind the downstairs outlet was cut and stuffed into the wall. I reached a dead end but I'll pick it up next weekend. I'm going get a combo cable & phone outlet and then I'll be able to trash the phone line the cable company brought in through the garage and stapled into the door molding.

And after all this effort my wife says I'm the only one who notices or cares!
Attached Thumbnails
Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-926996894.jpg  
Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 2,020

lol wow what a botched install. That last pic is hilarious, what is the point of making the wire go in the wall when the rest of the run is surface mount. Hilarious. Sucks to have no basement though, guess there's always the attic. If it were me I'd just rip everything out and start from scratch, but I tend to go all Mike Holmes when I see stuff like this. My house was pretty bad too when I moved in, there was splitters and extensions completely randomly around the house. I like having all the junctions in a central location with single runs going to each point. Makes tracking/troubleshooting easier.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

Yeah, I guess they went for a surface mount because of the wood paneling. I'm not sure myself how I'm going to get an outlet box in there without ripping the wall apart.

As for the wires in the attic, they look like hell but they work! That's a project for a rainy day.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:24 PM   #7

Well I finally found some time to work on my cable/phone outlet project. I decided to put the box on the corner of the existing hole since patching wood panel is probably trickier than drywall.

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-2579884047.jpg

Unfortunately after cutting the hole I couldn't find the phone line. I know it runs downstairs but it's somewhere in the wall where my fingers can't reach.

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-114858292.jpg

So it looks like I'm going to have to run a new line from the mess in the attic, out the side of the house along the path of the cable wire and back in through the exterior wall into this box.

Ugly Cablevision Phone cables everywhere!-image-531078436.jpg

What kind of phone junction box should I use? I see a bunch of different ones on the home depot site but they tend to sell junk.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,514

If Home Depot was selling junk, there would be a lot of inspectors at their locations telling them they could not sell to the public or the trades, when needing items for small jobs. The boxes you need for Low Voltage are not actually boxes, they are plates. I personally like the Old work boxes better, due to you can air seal them, unlike the LV plates.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor

You should be able to bring phone and cable tv into that box and use a cable tv and phone combo jack.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #10

Thanks, that's the plan! Okay, I'll check out what HD has to offer.

This project is kind of a pain in the neck but if I had the phone company do this for me I'd have to take a day off work and they'd charge me a fortune. And they'd probably mess it up again!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,514

Think of it this way. If you do it right, and in the process pulled everything as a home run to a central location.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #12
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter D. View Post
And after all this effort my wife says I'm the only one who notices or cares!
No worries - I think most of us here know how you feel. I ripped a ton of old phone wires out of my house stapled to baseboards and door casings .... ugly as hell if you asked me, but I'm sure nobody else noticed.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #13
Electrical Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
No worries - I think most of us here know how you feel. I ripped a ton of old phone wires out of my house stapled to baseboards and door casings .... ugly as hell if you asked me, but I'm sure nobody else noticed.
Most could care less. If it works who cares what it looks like. Bugs the hell out of me. I am on the second phase of my telephone and cable tv redo. I did telephone and cable tv jacks in all the rooms about ten years ago. And I just ran new lines from the pole near my home to my home underground and inside removing all the ugly lines and boxes on the side of my home after a tree took them out. Slowly replacing 30 yeas worth of junk.

I really wish I did home runs on all cable tv and phone jacks but it's works so I won't mess with it unless we have trouble.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #14

I ran a new line and sadly I have no dialtone! It splices into a functioning phone line with gel connectors. All the wire colors match, I double checked.

I know that the phone and phone outlet itself work fine, the line it's tapped into works, all the line colors match.

Is there something I'm missing here? Could the brand new line be bad? It's RCA brand from a hardware store.

Also, there's one area in the attic stuffed with copper mesh to keep critters out that the new line passes through. Then it snakes outside next to a power cables for the AC condenser. Could these cause some kind of interference?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:31 PM   #15
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

A friend of mine lives in an apartment complex that does not allow permanent cable wiring. So all cables are run up the sides and over the tops of door jambs, stapled to the baseboards and window casements, under the sills, you name it. All ugly as hell, but easy to rip out , fill holes and paint for the next renter. I just had to mention the shock I had seeing that mess.

DM

Advertisement