Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Massachusetts.
Posts: 305
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Two months and we'll be moved in, we're excited! I'm trying to read up on everything so I can get to work when we move in and up until this point I was just assuming that romex would be installed but maybe it's not. I was watching a show and they were replacing a light which had the old[er] two wire cable with the metal shroud as the ground and it got me thinking if our house will have that. A New England house built in 1978 what kind of wiring should we expect?

RyanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:03 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


My house was built in the 50's & it had the 3 conductor wire
It was the older stuff - cloth covered
Only one old run was 2 wire in the basement - easily replaced

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,294
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


You will have grounded copper romex. You will have 3 wire circuits (as opposed to 4 wire) to your 240V appliances.

Your wiring will be good if no homeowners or handymen have had their way with it.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Licensed electrician
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 7,696
Rewards Points: 2,190
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


If you try to replace any lighting fixture be aware that you only have 60 degree rated insulation. Some new fixtures require 90 degree rated insulation.
Jim Port is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:34 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by 220/221 View Post
You will have grounded copper romex. You will have 3 wire circuits (as opposed to 4 wire) to your 240V appliances.

Your wiring will be good if no homeowners or handymen have had their way with it.
or Pro's who do shoddy work
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans,LA
Posts: 128
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
or Pro's who do shoddy work
he wouldn't be a pro then would he?....he would be a handyman
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
he wouldn't be a pro then would he?....he would be a handyman
Not if he has a license
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Orleans,LA
Posts: 128
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


do you think a license means anything?.... i don't
NolaTigaBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #9
Electrical Contractor
 
jbfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Newnan GA
Posts: 5,859
Rewards Points: 2,114
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by NolaTigaBait View Post
do you think a license means anything?.... i don't
Here in GA, all it means is you passed the test!
__________________
Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late. "Jimmy Buffett"
jbfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #10
Idiot Emeritus
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Fernley, Nevada (near Reno)
Posts: 1,618
Rewards Points: 1,030
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Ceiling light fixtures were almost always rated for 60 watt maximum bulbs, a lot of them had 100s installed. The wire insulation will be somewhat crispy in the boxes above these fixtures.

It was common to use aluminum wiring to ranges, stoves, etc. Very rarely ever a problem with it though.

There was also a time right around that era when aluminum wire was used for 15 and 20 amp branch circuits as well. That certainly could be a problem, if it is still intact it's not too difficult to fix.

A lot of receptacles were 'back-stabbed' as well. These will burn up under heavy use. Again, if still intact, easy to fix.

Look at the panel. If it is Zinsco or FPE, my advice is to replace it with something a bit more reliable. These breakers had a nasty tendency to not trip, even when subjected to several hundred amps. Some insurance companies will refuse to cover a house with these panels.

As stated above, if no one has messed with it much, it's usually in good shape.

Rob
micromind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:31 AM   #11
Electrical Contractor
 
kbsparky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 3,368
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Most houses built then would have lots of NM cable for the branch circuits. However, depending on your location, some municipalities required the use of armored cable (type AC or "BX") to prevent rats, mice, etc from chewing through it.
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
Master Electrician
 
JohnJ0906's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 332
Rewards Points: 250
Default

Type of wires to expect in 1978 house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by micromind View Post
Ceiling light fixtures were almost always rated for 60 watt maximum bulbs, a lot of them had 100s installed. The wire insulation will be somewhat crispy in the boxes above these fixtures.
I agree.

Quote:
It was common to use aluminum wiring to ranges, stoves, etc. Very rarely ever a problem with it though.

There was also a time right around that era when aluminum wire was used for 15 and 20 amp branch circuits as well. That certainly could be a problem, if it is still intact it's not too difficult to fix.
By 1978, the aluminum alloy had changed to the type that is in use today, so it is much less a problem than if it was from the 60's.

Quote:
A lot of receptacles were 'back-stabbed' as well. These will burn up under heavy use. Again, if still intact, easy to fix.
Agreed. I'm sure there are a few that will need replacement, due to being cracked, or needing GFCI protection - you can take a look. You might wish to change device color anyway.

Quote:
Look at the panel. If it is Zinsco or FPE, my advice is to replace it with something a bit more reliable. These breakers had a nasty tendency to not trip, even when subjected to several hundred amps. Some insurance companies will refuse to cover a house with these panels.
Junk.

Quote:
As stated above, if no one has messed with it much, it's usually in good shape.

Rob
Yup.

__________________
John from Baltimore
One Day at a Time
"Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else"
"The bitterness of low quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten"
JohnJ0906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving a House 70 miles- Practical? GOTHICrevivalRULES Building & Construction 19 11-27-2008 08:58 PM
Some walls rattle in my house if hit with something, I will explain inside posting zincmann Building & Construction 4 11-10-2008 03:05 PM
replacing outlet with 3 white/3 black wires gpet573 Electrical 4 06-03-2008 02:55 PM
What type of electric do I have in mu house? SleepnZJ Electrical 44 09-23-2007 07:46 AM
Brick and block house footer question. ourzoo Building & Construction 2 07-01-2006 02:57 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.