Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Share |

Type and gauge wire to use for project

Ok, I have read many variations of this trying to find my answer so figured I just post asking. Building a shed, it us 150 feet behind my house. I have run 3/4" grey electrical PVC pipe under ground and already sucked through a string wire pull. Now I want to pull wires but want to make sure I use correct type and gauge wires. PVC is buiried about 18" under ground I will place a junction box on house and also on she'd to tie into. One in the house I have about 40' to reach the main panel and have a spot saved for a dedicated breaker. The shed is only 12x12 and I only plane on wiring 2 lights and 2 outlets in it. The first light will be inside and will just be standard fluorescent with 2 strips, outside will be a double flood halogen light. Also plan on 2 outlets 1 inside and the other outside. They probably won't get much use but figure they will be easy to add and nice to have. Now the questions..... In the main panel should u use a 15 or 20 amp breaker? And should breaker be gfi or standard? Secondly, I know I can't run romex and have to use strand wire, black, white and green. I will buy a 250 foot roll of each to pull through the wire. So question is what type if wire and what gauge to handle the 2 lights and outlets described above? Can I run romex from the panel yo the box on the house? Then run unground outdoor strand to the shed the outdoor romex from box on shed to lights and outlets? That should cover my questions. I appreciate any answers I can get. Thanks!!!

Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
" Euro " electrician

For that distance and you have minuim load so therefore 4.0mm2 aka 12 awg conductors will work just fine.

Put the GFCI receptale at the shed side not the breaker verison due the distance may cause false tripping.

You can run romex from the load centre to the junction box at the house before it goes underground that will have to be changed over to the THHN/TWHN conductors run that all the way to the shed first junciton box then after that conventail NM again.

With the first inside junciton box put a single pole switch that will serve a disconnecting means for your shed then after that you can branch out to the swtiches and receptales as needed. ( you will only need one GFCI receptale and the other receptales will be protected downstream of GFCI << it will be on load side >>

Merci,
Marc

Old 05-27-2013, 11:09 PM   #3

Thanks Marc! What about breaker in panel? 15 or 20 amp?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olcrazy1 View Post
Thanks Marc! What about breaker in panel? 15 or 20 amp?
Stick with 20 amp breaker in case ya run a high powered tools.

Make sure they match to your exsting breaker box.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #5

Think I'm all set now, thanks for the help!!!!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

I suggest 10 gauge wire including for the portion from the outside wall of the main house to the panel. Otherwise at that distance (about 400' round trip) larger power tools may struggle due to voltage drop.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 AM   #7

Another question.... Should u use solid or stranded wire? Guessing solid is better but stranded will pull easier, any advantage to either on performance?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
" Euro " electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olcrazy1 View Post
Another question.... Should u use solid or stranded wire? Guessing solid is better but stranded will pull easier, any advantage to either on performance?
Either way it will work the best for you but just make sure you get the wire lube to make it even more easier to slide along the conduit.

Merci,
Marc
Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 PM   #9

use at least 10 gauge solid wire or bigger if possible . Use the max you can get as you dont know what you may want to add on later. remember to use 3 core and ground as you may need a sub panel at a later time and you cannot bond the neutral and ground..and if you use both phases you will balance the load on each phase.

I once built a shed almost the same as yours. It is now used as an office . so used 12 gauge wire and had to repull larger wire as the load had increased.
borrott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 AM   #10
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by borrott View Post
use at least 10 gauge solid wire or bigger if possible . Use the max you can get as you dont know what you may want to add on later. remember to use 3 core and ground as you may need a sub panel at a later time and you cannot bond the neutral and ground..and if you use both phases you will balance the load on each phase.

I once built a shed almost the same as yours. It is now used as an office . so used 12 gauge wire and had to repull larger wire as the load had increased.
You do NOT want to use solid wire that big in conduit.....it's bad enough pulling 10 AWG THHN/THWN that far through 3/4 PVC....but solid?

About the biggest wire your going to pull through that 3/4" PVC that distance is #8....and even then it's going to take a lot of KY.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-29-2013)