Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-20-2010, 10:34 AM   #1

Share |

Tying in new 120v smoke detectors in an addition to existing ones...

I am trying to wire in new smoke detectors into an addition I have been building (walls still open) from the existing smoke detectors in the current structure.

The most convenient existing detector to pull from would be the first in the existing run. Can I do this or will this create problems with the traveler wire triggering everything properly? My thought was this is not as simple as wiring in another 12/3 wire from the first and that I will have to find the end of the string of existing smoke detectors and run from the last one. This is not the end of the world, but it would be easier to go from the first in the series if possible.

Thanks for your thoughts! I hope it is clear what I am getting at.

Matt Schrag

matthewschrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #2
Licensed electrician

Tying in new 120v smoke detectors in an addition to existing ones...

You can connect to any junction in the string of wiring whether it is the first box or the last or any box in between. The only issue is to make sure the box has enough space for the additional conductor count. Plastic boxes will have the cubic inch and conductor capacity molded into the back of the box.

Unless your detectors are on a 20 amp circuit there is no need for 12-3.

matthewschrag (08-20-2010)