DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Electrical (
-   -   two way lever switch (

robut 02-01-2011 10:20 AM

two way lever switch
I might be calling this switch by the wrong name but I remember seeing them as a kid.
Where would be a good source

First I will tell you what I want to do ?
From my generator I want to run a line to my furnace in case of a power failure.
Just some thing simple and not too costly, as I have never had a long winter power failure problem before. But if I want to switch in a hurry and completely cut off from the electric company's source. This will prevent power back to the working utility person.

The switch has a double leg with a two source to the middle handle, switched to upper legs would be on utilities source and when the switch is down to the lower legs " the generator" source will feed in to the furnace when needed

I wish I could draw a picture but I'm sure you remember these old switches

jlmran 02-01-2011 10:22 AM

DPDT. The old style are exposed and dangerous?

jlmran 02-01-2011 10:25 AM

Qualifier: That was an answer to your question, but it may not be a good solution for your needs.

brric 02-01-2011 10:28 AM

Double-pole double-throw safety switch.

Matsukaze 02-01-2011 01:04 PM

Look for a "manual furnace transfer switch" if you want a safe way to do this.

robut 02-01-2011 08:10 PM


Originally Posted by Matsukaze (Post 582480)
Look for a "manual furnace transfer switch" if you want a safe way to do this.

Thanks now I have a lead on what to ask for.
I know wiring but some names of products i don't
thanks Robut :thumbup:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.