Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #1

Share |

two switches, two lights, one box

Does anyone want to take a moment to explain to me how I can wire two switch to two different lights. I have power coming into the switch box and a 14/2 to each light. I want to put two individual switches in a double gang box to control each light. Any help would be awesome!
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Connect all 3 whites together.

Connect 1 black from each 14/2 (the ones going to the lights) to each switch, it doesn't matter which screw.

You should now have the incoming black remaining. Cut 2 short (8 inches or so) lengths of black wire, put those two into a wirenut with your incoming black. Connect the other ends of the short wires to the other screws on your two switches.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
Master Electrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfan781 View Post
Does anyone want to take a moment to explain to me how I can wire two switch to two different lights. I have power coming into the switch box and a 14/2 to each light. I want to put two individual switches in a double gang box to control each light. Any help would be awesome!
on the incomming power make two pigtails(two 6" pieces of wire) and marrette them with the feed. Take one pigtail to one switch and the other pigtail to the other switch. Tie the black from the one light to the unused screw on one switch and the black from the other light to the unused screw on the other switch. Join all your neutrals together(marrette) and install switches with screws to the right.
andrew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:12 PM   #4

Or if a drawing will help
Attached Thumbnails
two switches, two lights, one box-bfan.jpg  
hayewe farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #5

Perfect. Thanks for your time. A diagram is worth a thousand words sometimes!!!
bfan781 is offline   Reply With Quote