Two Switches Two Lights And Extra Wire - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

two switches two lights and extra wire

I have one wire gcoming from a light, one coming from the fan, one bringing in the power, and one that goes to the attic. When the wire with power is connected directly to the wire to the attic, I have power to my garage door opener. I now have the wire with power (black) pigtailed to the switches. The black wire from the light to one switch and the the black from fan to other switch. The wire from the attic is directly connected to the blacks, whites, and ground. Now with power turned on the light will switch on and off, the fan staysb on regardless of the switch, and the garage only opend when thye light switch is turned on. Please help!

Advertisement

jevanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:31 PM   #2
Scared Electrician

Rewards Points: 500

two switches two lights and extra wire

you have your cables mixed up. The cable that switches the garage is the garage. pigtail it to the always hot. i think you will find that yo have it swapped with the fan cable

Advertisement

Please follow the code - its there for your safety no matter how inconvenient.
Saturday Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pigtail , power , switches , wire