Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:06 PM   #1
New Homeowner

Share |

Two Switches, an outdoor light, and a wall plug

The diagram included shows how the electrical outlets are setup. If I switch on the outdoor light, the light simply comes on. Now, I turn off the light, and turn on the switch to the wall outlet and plug something in.....no power to the wall outlet. With something still plugged into the wall outlet and the switch to turn on the wall outlet still on, I then turn the outdoor light back on. So now, both light switches are in the up/on position. The wall outlet now works.

Looking at the two switches....

The switch connected to the outside light has two black wires coming out of the back of it. They both travel into the wall going up towards the light. The other switch has a red wire coming from the back on the top and a black wire from the back on the bottom and they both go down through the wall toward the wall outlet. The only wire connected to the 6 metal screws (3 on each switch) is a black wire connected to the bottom gold screw of the outdoor light switch and runs to the same screw on the wall outlet switch.

Is it a simple fix to get the wall outlet switch working by itself?
If it is a simple fix, any ideas for me please?

Thank you all for your help,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Two Switches, an outdoor light, and a wall plug-outlet.jpg  

MichaelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Electrical Contractor

Two Switches, an outdoor light, and a wall plug

It sounds like your switch is wired backwards -- that is -- when you turn the light off, you are also turning off the feed to the other switch/outlet.

Try moving the jumper wire connection on the switch for the light to the other terminal screw.

Life is uncertain -- eat dessert first!!
kbsparky is offline   Reply With Quote