Two Pool Receptacles, One Is GFCI. Are Both Protected? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Two Pool Receptacles, one is GFCI. Are both protected?

Hi;

I'll expand on the title somewhat. I want to dig a trench, use proper gauge NMWU cable for underground runs, and ultimately connect 2 receptacles near my new pool.

A Home Depot guy said that I cannot connect 2 GFCI receptacles on one 20 amp 12/2 cable, because each GFCI needs its own neutral. I suspect this is correct, based on what I've previously read about GFCI outlets.

He suggested that I use 1 GFCI and simply connect the other receptacle in the same outdoor box (presumably in parallel??). He said that both would be protected against ground faults.

I would like somebody to back this up. I want to run a 1/2 HP pool pump (approx. 3 or 4 amps) a salt/chlorine generator (I don't know the amperage, but I presume fairly low), and maybe some low wattage lights, possibly LED. Total load would be lower than 15 amps.

If I want to connect 2 receptacles, and NOT use panel-mounted GFCI breakers, but have both GFCI protected (in the same double electrical box), what's the best way? Is it true that using 1 GFCI outlet automatically means that both outlets are protected?

Thanks, Tom, Ottawa Canada.

Advertisement

rrmerlin60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,274

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrmerlin60 View Post
...and ultimately connect 2 receptacles near my new pool.
A Home Depot guy said...
Stop right there.

Quote:
That I cannot connect 2 GFCI receptacles on one 20 amp 12/2 cable, because each GFCI needs its own neutral.
How many circuits?
One circuit for each or both sharing the same 20A feed?

Quote:
...a 1/2 HP pool pump (approx. 3 or 4 amps)
...a salt/chlorine generator
...and maybe some low wattage lights
Check the manufacturers install instructions.
Often (for various reasons) it's advised/ wisest/ best option to provide a separate circuit for each of the separate appliances.

If they can share the same (120V 20A) feed then they can share the same GFCI protection on that feed.

Advertisement

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #3

Hi Tarheel Terp;

Thanks, and I guess I'd better clarify.
There would be one 20 amp, 12 gauge cable in the trench. This would be 12/2 NMWU cabling. At the user end, I want to connect 2 receptacles, since I need to plug in more than 2 items. I want to run a pump, a chlorine system, and some lights. The total load would be less than 15 amps, a fair bit less I suspect.

I need everything to be GFCI protected. So I was curious if the Home Depot guy was right. Connect 1 GFCI outlet, use a regular outlet beside it, and both are Ground Fault protected.

Hopefully I stated that as I understand it. Is it correct?

Thanks again, Tom.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,474

You can put in 2 GFCI's, you just can NOT connect the 2nd off of the load terminals of the 1st.

A GFCI does not automatically protect an outlet in the same box. The outlet would have to be wired off of the load terminals of the GFCI.

But, you probably cannot use NMWU cable for this installation. I am guessing that your pool is deep enough to be classed as a permanent pool. What is the measurement from pool bottom to top of wall ?
Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #5

Hi Oso954;

The pool is semi-inground, about 22 inches into the ground, with 30 inches above ground. The pool itself has 52 inch steel wall segments. The segments bolt together to form a complete circle.

From what I've been told, NMWU cable is the way to go, not just based on the Home Depot guy, but based on a few other sources. Of course, this is still possibly incorrect. Could you elaborate on what the options are, other than NMWU based on the type of pool? I guess I don't see the connection between the pool and type of cabling used.

And in the end, I really mostly need to understand if there's way to Ground Fault protect 2 outlets at the pool. My desire to use 1 20 amp, 12 gauge cable, is based on cost savings (instead of running 2 cables).

Thanks, Tom.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Hi Oso954;

The pool is semi-inground, about 22 inches into the ground, with 30 inches above ground. The pool itself has 52 inch steel wall segments. The segments bolt together to form a complete circle.

From what I've been told, NMWU cable is the way to go, not just based on the Home Depot guy, but based on a few other sources. Of course, this is still possibly incorrect. Could you elaborate on what the options are, other than NMWU based on the type of pool? I guess I don't see the connection between the pool and type of cabling used.

And in the end, I really mostly need to understand if there's way to Ground Fault protect 2 outlets at the pool. My desire to use 1 20 amp, 12 gauge cable, is based on cost savings (instead of running 2 cables).

Thanks, Tom.
Are you in the US or Canada?

In the US you CANNOT use NM or UF cable for ANY of the outside portion of wiring for these things. On top of that there are MANY other codes involved with this type of installation.

PLEASE find out what the codes are for your area BEFORE going ANY further!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Speedy Petey For This Useful Post:
Jim Port (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 02:13 PM   #7

Speedy Petey;

I'm in Canada. And you make a good point about asking the authorities about the cabling type.

Cheers, Tom.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,152

Quote:
Speedy Petey;

I'm in Canada. And you make a good point about asking the authorities about the cabling type.

Cheers, Tom.
Yes! PLEASE do NOT listen to anyone in a home center. You may find a knowledgeable one, but their track record for incorrect information is too consistent.

Advertisement