Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Two Panel Generator Install

Just looking for input if I installed my generator correctly into my home service. As shown in the picture I have a 400A meter base with two 200A panels. I wanted to power breakers in each panel so I chose the interlock kit approach (I installed a separate interlock kit in each panel). The second picture shows the interlock kit installed. I ran the input power from the generator input panel into a 30A breaker protected by the interlock in the right panel. I connected the ground and common from the generator input panel to the appropriate bus bars in the right panel. I then ran the power over to the left panel and its 30A breaker also protected by an interlock kit. I did not connect the common and ground from the generator input into the left panel for two reasons. One, I did not want to cause a common/ground loop issue. And second, both panels already share a common ground and common bus bar through the meter base.
I checked and everything worked as advertised and I should have no way of back feeding into the service and risking injuring a lineman. Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Two Panel Generator Install-interlocksmall.jpg   Two Panel Generator Install-panel-config-small.jpg  

eubanksja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

deleted

Old 07-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It looks like a safe install. I do however have two thoughts.

1. Did the wires for the left panel run through the meter panel? If so, it might be a code violation in addition to the power company taking issue with that.

2. Your setup would work fine without running the ground and neutral to the left panel, but code wise, I believe at least the neural is required to be run over there from the genny panel.
Auger01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

1. I did run it through the meter panel (shortest distance) and agree it may be an issue. I re-routed it down under the house and back up into the other panel.

2. I had read in other posts about warinings not to connect the commons or grounds from one panel to the next. I could connect them but wasn't sure if it would cause other issues.
eubanksja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,106

I agree that you should run the ground and neutral to the other panel as well.

"Ground loops" are not an issue in cases like this. That is more for audio and sensitive electronics. It is not an issue with AC building wiring.