Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2011, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Two Lights, Two Switches Headache

Ok,

So our new house we've lived in for just over a year now and I wanted to replace the light fixtures on the back porch to something that looked nicer and get rid of the boring stock fixtures that were there from the builder. There are two lights and both worked perfectly before this snafu.

Ok so there were two lights with a single bulb in each and my new fixtures have two bulbs in them but they are already pre-wired and ready to go with one black and one white quick connectors for easy hook-up. There are two switches on the the circuit which turn both lights on or off depending which room you are in. Anyways, I removed the first lights and there were 2 black wires and 2 white wires and the ground. I twisted the two black wires together and then hooked them up to the black wire of the light fixture and did the same with the white wires and flipped teh breaker and everything works great! I went to put the second light up and in this panel there was only one black wire and one white wire and when I hooked them up I get nothing. Tested the old light to make sure the fixture wasn't faulty and still nothing. The panel isn't getting any power.

My first thought was that I wired the first light wrong but I don't think I did. My second thought was when I was opening up the panel to the second light...the circular plastic housing was kind of off center from the hole cut in the drywall and I couldn't access the metal bracket to remove it to hang the new light. So when I moved it about an inch I hear a small thud in between the two lights and I'm wondering if I knocked something loose?

I really don't want to go up in that crawl space if I don't have to but you guys have any ideas? Also, there is an empty ceiling fan panel in between the lights with capped wires.

Please Help!

darveaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Two Lights, Two Switches Headache

Sorry for double post...don't know why it did that....

darveaux is offline   Reply With Quote