Two Light Switches In-line To Lights? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 79

Two light switches in-line to lights?

Is it ok to put two light switches in line together on the switched leg of a light circuit? I'm having a problem with buzzing LED retrofit lights in my newly installed recessed lights. I really want to find a way to make these work because I love the light output, the color temperature, and the wideness of the light pattern.

I'm using these lights - http://www.amazon.com/Luminus-Led-Re...pr_product_top
Costco has pallets of them for $24.99 each. They're supposed to be dimmable, and the package actually says that they'll work with incandescent dimmers as well. I've tried dimmers suited for CFL/LED, as well as an incandescent dimmer, and so far no matter what there is a buzzing sound when the lights are dimmed. When they are on full brightness, there's no buzz or hum. Unfortunately I can't just leave them on full brightness because it is WAY too bright (120w equivalent) for the kitchen.

I want to be able to use a rocker style dimmer that lets you use a slider to set the dim value, then just flip the rocker on and off like normal. I've used this dimmer (http://www.amazon.com/Lutron-TG-600P...r+light+switch) in both the CFL/LED version, as well as the regular incandescent dimmer, and neither can dim without the hum. For the record, I've also returned the lights to Costco numerous times thinking maybe it was the lights that were defective.

My question is; if I pick up a normal slider dimmer and it does works without buzzing, can I install that BETWEEN a normal single-pole switch and the lights? Like, install a switch box in the attic, and leave the dimmer up there with the appropriate dimness set, then just use the regular switch in the kitchen to off and on the light?

Advertisement

bobgodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,492

Quote:
if I pick up a normal slider dimmer and it does works without buzzing
You have used multiple dimmers with multiple LED modules, and all buzzed. Right ? Why do you think one more might work ?

Either live with the buzz, or try a different LED module with a LED dimmer.

Advertisement

Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:06 PM   #3

Living with the buzz is a non-option.

I have reason to believe that there is a combination of lights/dimmer that will work without buzz because most other user reviews did not note the buzzing sound (only a small fraction did). Also, the online reviews for the CFL/LED dimmer I used, weren't the greatest so my hopes are that there's a better dimmer out there that can dim without introducing a buzz.

I have six cans in the kitchen, 3 of them do not buzz. The remaining 3 have been returned over and over to Costco. I've gone through 12 replacements and they all buzz... If I can't find a dimmer that will dim without buzzing then I will have to just return everything and go with CFLs.

I still need to know though, if my little ghetto rigged switch is legal and safe.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 PM   #4

Can anyone tell me if it is legal to run one light switch into another light switch? While it may be a bit dumb, I want to know if it's going to fail an inspection.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgodd View Post
Can anyone tell me if it is legal to run one light switch into another light switch? While it may be a bit dumb, I want to know if it's going to fail an inspection.
Boy.... I'm probably wrong... because I learn alot more than I know on here about code, ...but I've never heard of code requiring a switch to be in any specific proximity to it's light (apart from supplying switching in rooms/halls/stairs that enter/exit) and I don't know of any restriction to having two switches in series.

Caveat... I'm not a sparky....just a GC

I don't know if dimmers to led's give off much heat...I would think possibly the same as to incadescents, but I would not cover up (mount appropriately) any attic dimmer in insulation just as a general precaution.

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 05-19-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: further thought
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MTN REMODEL LLC For This Useful Post:
bobgodd (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Yes you can have two switches in a row where the "first" switch is a master switch for that lighting subcircuit.

This is usually not necessary for dimmers since the dimmer switch should have an "off" postion that is engaged by moving the slider all the way down or pressing the slider or knob in and releasing it.

If you get buzzing you might check to be sure that the circuit is properly grounded.
bobgodd (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 10:05 PM   #7
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,832

There are dimmers that can be set to the desired level of dimming and turned off and on.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Port View Post
There are dimmers that can be set to the desired level of dimming and turned off and on.
That's what I've been trying to use (I linked to it in the first post).

My line of thinking was that maybe those dimmers aren't quite as good quality as the ones that are just a "slider" type dimmer... but really I'm just spitballin' here. My wife wants a traditional on/off type operation, instead of having to set the light on by adjusting a slider each time we walk into the kitchen.

I've got one more dimmer coming via amazon next week that I'm going to try and if that doesn't work I'm just going to return everything. I'm starting to think that my "dimmable LEDs" aren't as dimmable as they say they are.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgodd View Post
That's what I've been trying to use (I linked to it in the first post).

My line of thinking was that maybe those dimmers aren't quite as good quality as the ones that are just a "slider" type dimmer... but really I'm just spitballin' here. My wife wants a traditional on/off type operation, instead of having to set the light on by adjusting a slider each time we walk into the kitchen.

I've got one more dimmer coming via amazon next week that I'm going to try and if that doesn't work I'm just going to return everything. I'm starting to think that my "dimmable LEDs" aren't as dimmable as they say they are.
Does the company have any technical help line... even if not, might be worthwhile to write them an E-mail.... or just send them (marketing department) the exerpts from this thread... they may be darn responsive when they see where you've been.

Best

Peter
Old 05-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

http://www.lutron.com/en-US/Educatio...LsandLEDs.aspx

that may help ....
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #11
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Boy.... I'm probably wrong... because I learn alot more than I know on here about code, ...but I've never heard of code requiring a switch to be in any specific proximity to it's light (apart from supplying switching in rooms/halls/stairs that enter/exit) and I don't know of any restriction to having two switches in series.
There are no codes for switches to be required in rooms/halls/stairs that enter/exit....
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy1375 View Post
there are no codes for switches to be required in rooms/halls/stairs that enter/exit....
lmao ....what ????
Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 AM   #13
E2 Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Master View Post
lmao ....what ????
Show me the code that requires it... I can use circuit breakers if I so wish.
stickboy1375 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Quote:
There are no codes for switches to be required in rooms/halls/stairs that enter/exit....
Quote:
lmao ....what ????
Quote:
Show me the code that requires it... I can use circuit breakers if I so wish.
Stick and Philly.....

I know it's not your guys week to take care of me.... but what the heck am I thinking?

It's so much a part of my thinking, (that you need three-ways at top/bottom of stairs and passage ways and thru ways,) that I could swear it was coded.... could it be IRC or IBC, or maybe old UBC, or could it be some local amendment.

Sorry for any misinfo.... but I really thought it was coded.... but that's what happens when your a 60's kid and get older.

Best
Peter
Old 05-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #15
Electrical Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,320

Quote:
Quote:
lmao ....what ????
Not Again!!!!

Advertisement