Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Share |

Two fixtures, one switch

I have two exterior fixtures that need to be controlled by one switch. I know how to do this where the switch comes first and then feeds to the two fixtures in succession. But I can't run the wire to the second fixture from the currently existing fixture because it is a post lamp in the ground and I can't access it. So, I have to run the feed from the switch to the second light. How do I do this? It's probably straightforward, but I want to check.

If it makes any difference, the second fixture is a motion sensing fixture and I want it to be able to control both lights (the one currently existing is not motion sensing). New fixture has black, white, red, and ground wires.
Thanks!

nugentcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:49 PM   #2

Two fixtures, one switch

typically you would have a seperate switch for the one for it to be wired safely. A single pole switch only has two terminals for the hot wire and switch leg however is it 14 awg wire. If so and you have a switch with holes to punch wires in the back as well you can do it

mike242424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #3

Two fixtures, one switch

Couldn't I just use a pigtail to connect the two blacks to the terminal on the switch? I just want to make sure the motion sensor will control both lights if I do this.

I'm also wondering if anything should happen with the red wire on the fixture in a configuration like this.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #4

Two fixtures, one switch

Quote:
I have two exterior fixtures that need to be controlled by one switch. I know how to do this where the switch comes first and then feeds to the two fixtures in succession. But I can't run the wire to the second fixture from the currently existing fixture because it is a post lamp in the ground and I can't access it. So, I have to run the feed from the switch to the second light. How do I do this? It's probably straightforward, but I want to check.

If it makes any difference, the second fixture is a motion sensing fixture and I want it to be able to control both lights (the one currently existing is not motion sensing). New fixture has black, white, red, and ground wires.
Thanks!

For future reference, less words are better for effective communication.

ONLY If the switch has more than 2 wires in the box:

From the switch, run a 3 wire cable to the motion light (black, white, red and ground)

Remove the wire going to the existing post light from the switch and install the new black going to the motion light in its place.

Hook the white in the 3 wire cable to the existing white(s)

Hook the red in the 3 wire cable to the post light wire that you removed from the switch.

At the motion light, black to black, white to whites and red to red (which will also likely to be factory connected to the bulbs in the fixture)

Black powers the motion light when the switch is on. Any motion sends power to the red which will turn the motion lights and post lamp on.

If the switch box has only 2 wires in it (black and white) it gets more complicated as you will have to find the power source.
220/221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #5

Two fixtures, one switch

Thanks.

Nice of you to give writing/editing feedback also. When I leave out details on forums, I get questions back asking me to clarify or elaborate like "What is your situation that you have to run the feed from the switch to the second fixture?" or "Is the existing fixture also a motion-sensing fixture?"
Old 09-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #6

Two fixtures, one switch

>>> ... holes to punch wires in the back ...
>>> Couldn't I just use a pigtail ...

The pigtail going to the single screw on the side is much better (if the wires if punched in back don't also use a screw to hold them firmly in there).

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-04-2009 at 09:15 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:39 PM   #7

Two fixtures, one switch

I read over all the posts.

I not sure, but is some one thinking about back wire a .98 cent switch.

DON'T, That type of connection is garbage.

Always use the terminal screw that are on the side of your switch.

Pigtail when you have to control more then one load. I.E> light fixture.

Ranger31 is offline   Reply With Quote