Two Dryers On One 220v Circuit? - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2012, 08:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Two dryers on one 220v circuit?

When I moved into my house it came with a washer and dryer in the basement. I would like to install my washer and dryer (from a previous house) on the main floor to make doing laundry more convenient.

I would also like to leave the ones in the basement hooked up for doing really dirty loads that my wife doesn't want to mix with regular laundry (or a backup if the others fail).

What I need to know is if I can splice the existing 220v line to the upstairs location or if I need to run a new branch circuit. Normally I wouldn't put two appliances on the same circuit like this, but I'm thinking that since they are both electric dryers, and they will never be on at the same time- it shouldn't be a problem.

Thoughts?

Advertisement

MikeDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #2
Licensed Electrical Cont.

Rewards Points: 2,162

It is legal, but WHY bother? IMO it certainly IS likely that they might be used at the same time. Do you have kids?

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

Rewards Points: 2,910

I would run a new cable instead of introducing a splice point in a high draw circuit.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:41 PM   #4
Licensed Electrician

Rewards Points: 2,006

I would love to be able to use two dryers at the same time. The wash cycle is much quicker than drying the clothes. I think you will find that you will use both even if you don't plan on it.

k_buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks everyone- I guess I'll go ahead and throw in a new branch circuit. If nothing else, when I sell the house someday, the new owners may not remember to only use one at a time
MikeDobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #6
" Euro " electrician

Rewards Points: 2,000

The other thing you have to remember is that you will have to use 4 conductor cord plus 10-3 NM cable this is only way you can add this per code requirement.

This above comment is used for electrique dryer.

Merci,
Marc
Old 09-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,650

Is gas an option?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 06:38 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,050

Not only does the wire size limit the amperes rating (and the breaker rating) for a circuit but the kind (shape and prong arrangement) of receptacle and the appliance(s) itself (themselves) have maximum circuit amperage ratings.

The plug on the appliance cord also implies a maximum circuit amperage rating, and you may not cut it off and substitute a plug rated higher.

A definite no-no. "Each dryer requires a 30 amp circuit so I will run one 60 amp circuit daisy chaining to two dryer receptacles."

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-01-2012 at 12:06 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,394

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
A definite no-no. "Each dryer requires a 30 amp circuit so I will run one 60 amp circuit daily chaining to two dryer receptacles."

That would be a total code violation. The poster needs to run a new 30 amp circuit for the second dryer.

Advertisement