Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #1

Share |

two dimmers, 1 for spots 1 for chandelier help

Hi there, I had an electrician come and re-wire our main floor. He added spot lights everywhere. At the time we did not have a chandelier for our dinning room, also we left in bad terms with him, so I can't ask for his help

Now, we have purchased it and are trying to install it, however are having a little difficulty.

Here is our problem;

in the dinning room we have two dimmers, one controls the spots, the other the chandelier.

In the dimmer boxes I have three black wires, three white wires and one red. All white are connected. Then I have one black connected to one black wire from both dimmers (so three blacks) then one black is connected to the red wire of one dimmer and the other black connected to the other red wire of the other dimmer, and the red is just cap off. (the dimmers are sliders with two red wires, one black and one greed (ground) that he just cut really short, shouldn't he have ground it to the copper wire at the end of the metal box?)

In the chandelier box I have two white wires connected to the ribbed transparent chandelier wire and two black wires connected to the smooth transparent chandelier and a red wire cap off.

Now the dimmer for the spots works, but the chandelier one doesn't. The lights are on, but won't turn off or dimme.

I do not have another switch that control the chandelier either.

Does it have to do with the red wire? And where do I connect it?

Thank you for your answers.

Last edited by Nessa; 01-31-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Nessa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM   #2

Who installed the chandelier? My thought would be that the red is your switch leg. Therefore by the fixture connect the red to the smooth of the fixture and by the dimmer connect the red to the red of the dimmer. Let us kno if that works.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
Licensed electrician

The dimmers may be capable of both single pole and three way operation. The one wire may not be needed.

The idiot should not have cut the ground off. It should connect to any ground wires in the box and the box if metallic.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

You may have to use a meter to tell what wires go where trace them down with a meter using a long wire to check for resistance. Make sure the power is off.

About the extra wire. That is how I wire a lot of ceiling fans that are on a high ceiling. Use 14/3 or 12/3 so they can control the lights separately from the fan without long pull cords.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 PM   #5

To Julius793 - a certified electrician did all the wiring. Unfortunetly, I cannot ask his help, he ended up charging us 4 times what he quoted us verbally I'll try your suggestion, for I'm not sure if I did that combo, but I did try a few scenario that always end up with the dimmer not working.

To JimPort - I know right!! Should I change the dimmers so that I can connect the ground? Now I'm questionning all his work. and wondering if I should open up all the plugs. Also, I'm guessing they are capable of three way since they have two red wires one next to the ground and one on the same side of the black at the bottom (black on top, red on bottom, other side green and red on the side by side at the bottom.)

To rrolleston - I'll try that, however it's not a ceiling fan, it's just a 5 branch chandelier.

Thank you for your responses, please check on me, I'll post an update, might still need your expertise.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrolleston
You may have to use a meter to tell what wires go where trace them down with a meter using a long wire to check for resistance. Make sure the power is off.

About the extra wire. That is how I wire a lot of ceiling fans that are on a high ceiling. Use 14/3 or 12/3 so they can control the lights separately from the fan without long pull cords.
Yes I'd bet anything that's the case. I always run 3 wire to fixture boxes located in a "central" sort of location in the event that the ho installs a ceiling fan in the location. Also use fan boxes in these locations as well.
Mikenra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:09 PM   #7

Just a quick clarification, if it is wired for a ceiling fan, then what do I do in my case? I don't understand the 14/3 or 12/3, I just know basic DYI from my DYI book and my research on the web.

EDITED….

Ok I just researched the 14/3 and 12/3 and understand you're referring to the wire itself. So, should I try connecting the red wire in the box to the other red wire of the dimmer? and the red wire in the fixture box to the smooth wire of the chandelier?

Someone also suggested on another site that the electrician made an error in his connections. Somewhere there could be another light or an outlet that is turned on and off by the dimmer switch that is suppose to control the chandelier and to plug a lamp in each outlet and see if the switch turns it on and off.

Last edited by Nessa; 01-31-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Electrical Contractor

Send a message via AIM to rrolleston Send a message via Yahoo to rrolleston

That is what I do when I have no idea what they did. Start over and trace all the wires in question and make a diagram of what goes where and figure out how it should be wired. Also label the wires on both ends as you find out what goes where. Good luck.
rrolleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
" Euro " electrician

This is my European verison of 14-2 NM cable ( more like we call them twin et earth )

Now this your Americane verison .,,

This one is 14-3 NM

This one is 14-2 NM cable

That will clear up the question you are asking.

Merci,
Marc
Old 01-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #10
" Euro " electrician

Any chance can you post the dimmer model number ?

I think one of the leads are allready transponded wrong so before I can confirm this need the model to make sure.

Second thing is there a way you can post the photo that will really help us on the issue what you are going thru ??

Merci,
Marc