Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Two Circuits in one Box? GFI for lamp post?

Moving along on the outdoor lamp post in the backyard. I have the wire run into the basement, and I plan on adding a switch by the back door. There are two switches there currently, one for the inside light in the laundry room, one for the outdoor spots. I'm going to replace the double box that's there with a triple box.

The circuit powering the box is a general lighting circuit that services the two fixtures mentioned as well as the hallway, the kitchen and the dining room ceiling fixtures. No outlets on the circuit.

Do I need to have GFI protection for the lamp post? If so, I can run another circuit from the main panel with a GFI breaker, but if I do, is it OK to have 2 circuits in the same triple switch box?

Option B is to power the lamp post switch off of the existing circuit and add a GFI outlet on a 4x4 post next to the lamp post, them power the lamp post off the load terminals on the GFI outlet.

ideas/comments?

Burbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

You don't need a GFCI for outdoor lights. If you add any outlets you do. Two circuits in one box is OK.

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,036

Don't forget that the neutral from each circuit's feed is used only for the loads that circuit serves.

But all the ground wires from all the cables are tied together in the junction box.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks guys, I think I will tap into the existing circuit serving the switch box and connect the lamp post, no outlet at the lamp post. If I don't need the lamp post to be protected by GFI, then I don't need a separate circuit.
Burbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
My License Ain't 4 Sale..

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbman View Post
Thanks guys, I think I will tap into the existing circuit serving the switch box and connect the lamp post, no outlet at the lamp post. If I don't need the lamp post to be protected by GFI, then I don't need a separate circuit.
Maybe look into a GFCI switch combo anyway. You aren't required to protect the light, but I think it is a very good idea. I was nearly knocked smooth out by a faulty yard light once, and have seen several others that were faulty, so I have never installed one since that wasn't GFCI protected. And I have never even touched another since that I didn't check with a meter first either!
InPhase277 is offline   Reply With Quote