Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:53 PM   #1

Share |

twisting wire into existing splice

I want to add another branch to an existing junction box, where three wire runs are already spliced together. Is there any trick to splicing in another wire into the already twisted wires? Do I need to undo the twists or just wrap the new wire around them? I feel like any additional twisting of the existing wires will weaken them further.
debiasio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by debiasio View Post
I want to add another branch to an existing junction box, where three wire runs are already spliced together. Is there any trick to splicing in another wire into the already twisted wires? Do I need to undo the twists or just wrap the new wire around them? I feel like any additional twisting of the existing wires will weaken them further.
Generally I just lay the new wire along the existing spiral of wires, in line with the twists, and give it a twist with lineman's pliers to twist it into the existing splice. Hope that makes sense... You may need to go up to a larger wirenut, and you will also need to verify that your new wires don't exceed the box fill limit for the junction box.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:14 PM   #3
Electrician

This is one of the reasons why I recommend people leaving their wires nice and long. In a perfect world I would cut off the splice, re-strip each wire, and twist them all up nice and new. I personally don't like twisting, untwisting, re-twisting, etc.

If you don't have enough wire to cut it off and start fresh, it's not the end of the world.

What I usually do is strip the new wire longer than usual, maybe an inch and a quarter of bare conductor. I then hold the new wire next to the existing splice making sure that the insulation on all of them line up and I hold it tight. Then I grab the end of the new wire with my linemen's pliers and pull it around the existing splice so it fits into a groove. After it's threaded up to the end of the splice, I grab the entire splice and give it a twist for tightness, then cut off any extra wire sticking out the end.
McSteve (08-18-2010)
Old 08-18-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proby View Post
What I usually do is strip the new wire longer than usual, maybe an inch and a quarter of bare conductor. I then hold the new wire next to the existing splice making sure that the insulation on all of them line up and I hold it tight. Then I grab the end of the new wire with my linemen's pliers and pull it around the existing splice so it fits into a groove. After it's threaded up to the end of the splice, I grab the entire splice and give it a twist for tightness, then cut off any extra wire sticking out the end.
Well said, Proby. This is exactly the process I was trying to describe. Your explanation is much clearer and specific.
McSteve is online now   Reply With Quote