Tv Switch Off On When There Is A Load - Electrical - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Electrical

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tv switch off on when there is a load

hello,
The power cord of my tv connects to an electrical wall plug, when a fridge starts or ceiling fan is switched on, the tv is power off and back on right away, kind of flickering phenomenon. I did check they have different circuit breakers. Please any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

dienthutam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Loose Neutral somewhere, either in the panel, or on that circuit, if the outlet is on the same circuit as the fridge. Also could be a loose leg in the panel. Call an electrician and the Power Company to check out the panel and meter for any loose connections.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Loose Neutral somewhere, either in the panel, or on that circuit, if the outlet is on the same circuit as the fridge. Also could be a loose leg in the panel. Call an electrician and the Power Company to check out the panel and meter for any loose connections.
And do this ASAP, if it is a loose neutral, you could loose appliances and have a fire hazard on your hands.

Are the light flickering as well?

It could be a voltage drop issue but you need to rule out the neutral issue first. Not sure how low the voltage would have to go for a TV to reboot, just a thought.
Know A Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #4

Thank xmuch both of you Grezoll and Known a Little. Very appreciate. I will checck Neutral connection for tthe ceiling fan thatt I think the probblem come from since it has been changed feew month ago at summer time. for my info, what is the cause the voltagge drop down. Thanks again.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

It is not in your ceiling fan, it is in the Breaker panel or Meter pan. You need to have an electrician come in and check out those two items, along with making sure that proper grounding for the meter & main panel.

You could check the ceiling fan, if that is where power comes in that powers the same circuit, that the outlet for your tv is on, but doubtful that is how it is ran.

Lighting circuits are usually separate from outlets on the wall, is why we are stating to contact an electrician, and also the Power company to check their side.

The last thing you want, is the guys and gals in the pretty Red or Yellow truck showing up, because your residence caught on fire, from an electrical fault, that was let to go for a long period of time, that it overheated and caused the fire.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-08-2013, 06:34 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Unplug and don't use the TV until this is fixed. Loose neutral problems will fry the TV and other electronics long before ordinary appliances get damaged/
Old 10-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #7

Do you know any good and affordable electrician to refer to me. I m living in Canada, Montreal Quebec, just in case. Thanks for all your helps.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by dienthutam View Post
Do you know any good and affordable electrician to refer to me. I m living in Canada, Montreal Quebec, just in case. Thanks for all your helps.
There are a couple of Sparky's in your area, that visit these boards. They may come across this and update you, what you will need to do, or refer you to a company that is reputable in your area.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,400

You really should put a meter on the line and see what happens ?
Most liklely a bad joint somewhere in your electrical system.
If it's a neutral problem then it's quite urgent !
Check all joints between the tv and the main panel,
Then check all joints in the panel.

If you are not 100% confident you can do this safely
THEN DON'T
call an electrician instead.
dmxtothemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 3,564

In you Quebec you are not permitted to do your own electrical work. ALL work must be done by an electrician.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #11

Thank you for all your advices.
I have checcked tthe panel, tigh all screws in the neutral and ground bars. I also use the tool to check neutral connecttion in all wall plugs of the house and all connecctions are good. Then I mea sure the amp on the wire that connect to TV and saw it drops from 0.7A to 0.6A when the ceiling fan turned on. I cconnecctd TV to anotther wall plug and do the same measurement and got same result. Not sure it is the TV modem issue. I will call an electrician this week.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:01 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 270

Quote:
Originally Posted by dienthutam View Post
Thank you for all your advices.
I have checcked tthe panel, tigh all screws in the neutral and ground bars. I also use the tool to check neutral connecttion in all wall plugs of the house and all connecctions are good. Then I mea sure the amp on the wire that connect to TV and saw it drops from 0.7A to 0.6A when the ceiling fan turned on. I cconnecctd TV to anotther wall plug and do the same measurement and got same result. Not sure it is the TV modem issue. I will call an electrician this week.
Need voltage not amperage.

Take the voltage measurements

ADDITIONALLY the neutral issue could be on the utility drop.

Advertisement

Know A Little is offline   Reply With Quote